Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VBAI software trigger and shutter speed

Hello all!

I need your experience to find the best way to reach my needs.

I've a VBAI inspection where I need to acquire under different exposre times. 3 images needed under different ligthning conditions.

I've configured my camera in software trigger mode and this works fine (I always use this method to decrease network bandwidth used by my cameras)

The problem is that in the "Read/Write camera attributes setup" step used to send a software trigger, I also set the exposure time. This exposure time is not dirrectly applied to the next acquired image. So the acquired image is not usefull.

I have tried different solutions, one of those is to insert a delay between exposure setting and trigger.

But right now it's not working.

I also tried to check "stop and unconfigure acquisition before applying attributes action". But when doing this, the next trigger seems to be ignored.

Can you share your experience if you already encountered this issue.

Is it dependent on the camera manufacturers also? The way they are managing an exposure change might differ I suppose.

For information, I use a Basler ace GigE camera and VBAI 2014.

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,642 Views)

It is very camera specific in terms how many frames after a camera attribute change takes affect. You could see if sending multiple SW triggers before you try acquiring helps the camera use the newly set attribute. I think you could also try using a snap mode in the acquisition step.  If you do a Snap mode, I don't think you can use SW Trigger mode because the trigger would have to come while the step was executing since Snap mode resets things and only acquires when the step runs, so this would take longer, but it wouldn't require extra Read/Write Camera steps to send multiple SW triggers.

If the multiple SW triggers work, you could set the camera attribute as soon as you're done acquiring and do a SW trigger and then right before you do an acquisition, send another SW trigger.

Hope this helps,

Brad

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,622 Views)

Thanks Brad,

It seems mpultiple SW trigger is the solution (3 successive)

I will mark your answer as solution as soon as this is fully tested.

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,609 Views)

You may also want to explore Basler's sequencer feature (available on most newer Ace revisions) that is designed for functionality like this. You can configure the camera to take images automatically with different exposure times for each one, and the camera ensures the changes take effect between each image.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,591 Views)