Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Web Camera Acquisition Frame Rate

I am using a Macally Icecam2 USB 2.0 Video Web Camera to acquire images to an AVI file. The camera is rated up to 30 fps, but I can only acquire frames around an unstable 19 fps (with Video Mode 352x288 or smaller). I'm running this on a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series laptop and my code is attached. I've tried changing the Video Mode of the camera in NI MAX, but I'm still unable to get a consistent frame rate and I can't get closer to 30 fps. Is there a way to specify the acquisition rate within the labview program? I'm also open to instead recording individual image files rather than AVI, but I want to get as high a frame rate as possible. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,710 Views)

Hello Kristi_O,

Do the different video modes have an associated FPS? When grabbing your images in NI MAX using this camera, does the displayed FPS in the lower right hand corner match the FPS associated with the video mode?

I looked up the Macally Icecam2 USB 2.0 Video Web Camera online and it does list a 30 fps frame rate. However there is a footnote stating that actual performance may vary depending on computer hardware and application. Can you try using this camera with NI MAX on another computer with more powerful hardware?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,674 Views)

Hi Earl,

Thank you very much Yes, the video modes do have an associatted FPS, and I was using a 30 fps mode, and no, it did not match. I think the frame rate may be limited by the computer hardware, and I'm unfortunately limited to using this computer. Thank you again.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,612 Views)