Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Triggering a GigE camera

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your reply! That's actually exactly the settings I am using...

But how can I send a software trigger to the camera?

Thanks

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(2,138 Views)

Hi Ben,

A software trigger is used at the software level and it is not used to send an actual signal to the camera. You are telling the software to start acquiring when triggered. Where are you currently at with your program? Are you able to acquire images after pressing an execute button? Are you getting any errors? Make sure your VI recognizes your button is being press and that it is not just called once on start up. Try wiring up a true value to where you button is and see if that works.

Tim O

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(2,114 Views)

@Tim O wrote:

Hi Ben,

A software trigger is used at the software level and it is not used to send an actual signal to the camera. You are telling the software to start acquiring when triggered. Where are you currently at with your program? Are you able to acquire images after pressing an execute button? Are you getting any errors? Make sure your VI recognizes your button is being press and that it is not just called once on start up. Try wiring up a true value to where you button is and see if that works.

Tim O

That's not true. The "Trigger Software" feature is a camera feature that allows it to expose a "virtual" trigger signal that can be signalled via software in a generally low-latency way. To software it looks pretty much the same as a hardware trigger except you are generating a command to the camera to cause it.

To send this command, the attribute on the camera is "TriggerSoftware". It is implemented in GenICam as a "Command" feature, which means it looks somewhat like a self-clearing boolean feature that you push and then it clears automatically. In IMAQdx you can trigger it by just setting that feature to "true" in your code (it will self-clear). So you could do this in LabVIEW by setting the "ActiveAttribute" to "TriggerSoftware" and then the ValueBool property to "true".

Eric

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(2,108 Views)

Hi Eric and everyone,

It seems this topic is still insisting to show up.

I did my best, studied the Basler manual and saw the example. Attached is the best I have reached, i thin I'm close to exposing on SW trigger.

My issue is, no matter what I do, acquisition runs continuously, as if trgger mode is set to off. However, when I remove the 'TriggerSoftware' command set from the while loop, the loop terminates on timeout (which is obvious).

Can someone tell me what's wrong with my setup ?

Thanks in advance 🙂

Download All
Message 14 of 16
(1,863 Views)

Hi omarbedair,

I wanted to let you know your questions will gain more visibility by creating a new thread (of course you’re welcome to mention this thread to provide background). This thread has been inactive for multiple years and is unlikely to get many views; also, we recommend not posting extremely old threads.

Below I’ve attached a link with helpful resources for using the NI Discussion Forums.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Getting-Started-on-the-NI/bd-p/gettingstarted

I hope you find these helpful!

Kale

Applications Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(1,801 Views)
Hi Kale,

Thanks for the advice and link.

Guess I will have to repost my question again.

Thank you,
Omar
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(1,792 Views)