Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Camera User Interface on VGA Monitor ?

Solved!
Go to solution

For Smart Cameras that have a VGA output(NI 177x), is it possible to get the Custom User Interface that Is built in Vision Builer For AI 2011, to display on the monitor (VGA) output?

Or are you limited by only being able to display the image inpection screen on the VGA monitor? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,420 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author CDP_FPS

Unfortunately, this is not possible. The technical reason, for those interested, is because the FP.Get Image method is not supported on RT.

The Custom User Interface is designed to interact with Vision Builder running on the target. It will be shown in inspection mode on Vision Builder running on the host machine, or on a web browser if you enable the web server on the target and connect to it from a web browser from another machine.

This application note gives more details: http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/6714

There is one way to achieve a similar outcome, which is to draw appropriate overlays in the image using the Custom Overlay step located in the Use Additional Tools palette.

Christophe

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,412 Views)

Thanks for the reply. Overlaying Custom Data and viewing it with the VGA monitor will be acceptable but it definitely leaves a bit to be desired compared to the Interfaces that can be built in the Custom User Interface mode.  If necessary I can always view the web server with a another computer.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,408 Views)

Hi Cristophe,

I was looking around for an answer to this issue. Now I understand that custom Vision Builder AI interface could not be viewed on VGA output.

My question is:

Is it possible to view a custom VI developed on RT Vision Development Bundle, or does the same issue apply?

Thanks,

Omar

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,979 Views)

Hi Omar,

Things have changed since 2011. Since then, several real-time targets released with Linux RT operating system, and a feature called Embedded UI. This allows the real time target to display the front panel of a VI running on the target on the VGA output.

Look at this example.

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-36546

That feature was announced and demonstrated during NI-Week 2014.

The Vision specific targets that support this feature are the NI CVS-1458RT, NI CVS-1459-RT and many Compact RIOs running the Linux RT operating system.

Not that if you connect a touch screen to the target, you can even interact with the UI, without the need for additional programming that comes with some 3rd party operator interfaces that you can buy.

The current release version of Vision Builder AI (2014 SP1) does not support that feature yet (to display the built-in inspection interface of custom inspection interface on the VGA out of the targets that support this feature), but customers have expressed interest in the support and we're listening.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Christophe

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,960 Views)

CirstopheC,

Thanks a lot for the informative reply. I can now choose my HW with enough confidence.

Have a nice day.

Omar

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,931 Views)