Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read Text Overlay

Hi

I am saving images as PNG with a overlay. Overlays are only text. I need to batch process images to change the overlay - is the a way to read the text from a overlay on a saved PNG or get to the individual elements of the overlay so that I can change them and resave?

Thanks

Nic

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,271 Views)

Hmmm.. I'm not sure if there is access to the Vision Info, even if I'd like to have it.. 

The image processing person in me would copy the overlays to a white image, merge them and do OCR, but that is my personal approach 🙂

If you have any control over the saving process, use custom keys instead of overlays to store your data. 

Birgit

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,265 Views)

Hi

At the moment the overlays are saved by someone else's software and I can't change that.

Custom keys??? Can you explain.

Thanks

Nic

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,261 Views)

Custom keys are a way to store the data into the header of the image file without being visible.

I will attach a screenshot from yet to be published material on how to use them 🙂

customkeys.PNG

Message 4 of 5
(4,258 Views)

Nice post, b.ploetzeneder

I second b.ploetzenender's idea. I would recommend trying OCR to find what letters are overlayed, find their position and then masking them. Or if the letters are a certain color, then trying a color threshold to isolate them, and then mask, and add the overlay that you want. Do you have any sample image that you could post?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,232 Views)