Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processing video acquired through a webcam/camcorder in Labview/IMAQ

Hi,
I need to acquire&process video of a source located far away from the computer which has the labview and IMAQ.Since I do not have a laptop and other equipment, I plan to use a camcorder to get the video ,download it into the computer and then start processing it with IMAQ, like seperating the images frame by frame,ROIs,edge detection etc.Is it possible with LabVIEW?If so, please send me ur suggestions.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,478 Views)
I believe it is possible, but you may run into problems. You would need to connect the video signal from your original display to your camcorder to record it, then hook the video output from the camcorder to an IMAQ card. If you have a firewire camera, you might be able to get the video in that way, but it would be difficult.

When you record a video signal onto tape, then play it back later, you will lose some image quality. It may not be enough to matter, but it could have significant consequences. I was just working on an OCR application that reads text off a display screen. If the pixel clocks of the display, camcorder, and IMAQ board don't all match, the results can be garbage.

Bruce
Bruce Ammons
Ammons Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,474 Views)
You didn't state which platform you are using. My suggestion assumes a Windows based platform. I do this using an ActiveX program from http://www.cbcsolutions.net (I have no ties to the company) called XVideo2. It has several useful functions and works with most Video for Windows compliant frame grabbers. It also has a function CapExtract, which takes an AVI file and breaks it down to individual BMP files, frame by frame, in a named directory. I then can take the individual frames and process them using IMAQ. Once the video is on your machine IMAQ can do the ROI, edge detect etc. I have found XVideo2 to work well with LabVIEW using an ActiveX container, set to hidden if you want to hide the control on your front panel, then using the Invoke and Property nodes.

Hope
this helps you out.

Happy wiring

Rick
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,474 Views)
Since you would like to apply processing on multiple images, your best solution may be to acquire the images with a sequence. Using buffers, a sequence allows you to manipulate when and which images you want to take in. Below is a link to several examples, you may want to take a look at the Low-Level Sequence in Onboard Memory:
http://zone.ni.com/devzone/devzone.nsf/webcategories/1E4B156BEB020A5A8625685E0077B394?opendocument&node=DZ52489_US

Good Luck with your Application!
Chris D
NI Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,474 Views)

hello,i am doing my final year project in video processing in labview.

I am also facing the same kind of problem.

I am using a webcam for capturing live video. My next step is to process that video in labview.

The processing includes detection of certain objects.

I am getting the video in labview as live but can't process on it for further steps.

Can u help me for this?

If you know anything about this topic then please let me know.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,131 Views)