From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to access NI hardware from service? (without logging into a user account)

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm curious if there are any issues with accessing NI hardware from a program being run as a service (ie with no user logged in to the computer). I am about to start development on a service targeting an NI-IMAQ device, and I need to start acquiring data when the computer boots up without logging into a user account. I don't know if accessing an INTERFACE set up in NI-MAX requires that a user be logged in.

This will be run on Windows 7.

I appreciate any insight. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,252 Views)
I am not sure, as I certainly have never tried it. There are a few NI services that run in this manner (some via NI's System Web Server service) and they can access the IMAQ driver for enumeration purposes, so I suspect it would work.
Message 2 of 3
(4,243 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author middletongard

I got around to doing a basic test, and was able to successfully grab data from a camera through IMAQ and store it to the disk without needing to log in. The service launched at boot and stored plenty of data before I got the chance to log in.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,178 Views)