Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point Grey USB3 Vision camera: NI-imaqdx not found

I have a WIN7 64-bit system with a new NI-8242 USB 3 card.  I also have a Point grey USB 3 Vision camera (GS3-U3-23S6M-C) which works fine with the Point Grey FlyCap software and NI USB card.

The camera is not detected in Automation Explorer and there is no NI-IMAQdx entry in the tree.  The camera (and NI) instructions say to change the camera driver to one found in C:\Program Files\National Instruments\NI-IMAQdx\Staging\NI USB3 Vision, but my driver is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\NI-IMAQdx\Staging\NI USB3 Vision.

Attempts to install the driver pop up the following message:

"The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device.  If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems."

This makes it sound like the driver is in the wrong place or it is not made for a 64-bit OS.  Any advice is appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,248 Views)
You may need to update the firmware on that Grasshopper to one that supports USB3 Vision. I believe some models shipped with firmware that only supports PGR software.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(6,243 Views)

This camera showed up only a few days ago so I assume it is up to date.  The camera description also indicates USB Vision compliance.

Of course I should check for a firmware update anyway...

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(6,240 Views)

The camera firmware was old (v1.5...) and needed to be updated (v2.7...).  This was successful and I can now see the camera in Automation Explorer.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(6,236 Views)

I am having exactly the same problem described by cvstan with Sentech STC-MBA5MUSB3 USB3 camera. It doesn't look like it is possible to update firmware in this case. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Environment Win 7 Pro 64bit with LV 2014 32bit. Sentech 64bit driver.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,640 Views)

Hi aderogba,

The USB3 camera you are using does not seem to comply with the USB3 Vision standard. Not all USB3 cameras follow this standard even though they may support use of the USB3 bus. Cameras that comply with this standard usually have it written somewhere in their manual, but I was not able to find any mention of it in this manual:

http://videor.com/imaging/media/assets/filelink/204787_de_sup.pdf

To see cameras that are supported by NI, here is a rough guideline of the different standards:
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/4331B4AA3AE95233862574C200539A2F

If you have any further questions, I would recommend creating a new post as that will get more views and more people would be able to help you. Putting it as a comment in a 4 month old thread will not have as many views as a new post.

Paolo F.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,622 Views)

I am having the same issue with the same camera for our lab setup. Do you know how you update the firmware on this camera? Mine also doesn't show up in the NI MAX tree but does appear in flycap2. Do you have any suggestion on what you did or how to update the firmware?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,264 Views)