From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI Vision Builder 2013 SP1 on NI 1722 Smart Camera: Cannot connect to FTP

Hey allendale,

Here's what the Get Port.vi looked like (sorry I don't LV 8.6). Make sure to read the Run LabVIEW FAQ for how to save the VI so it can be distributed on targets using the LV project and building an LLB with all dependencies.

FTP Screenshot.png

Hope this helps,

Brad

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 29
(3,103 Views)

Hey martinwww,

I'm not sure what FTP Server you're using. Does your FTP server report any errors or messages about what the problem is? Also, if you're logging images as a backghround task, it is expected that the FTP write may not be able to keep up with how often your calling the logging step. Try switching to not log as a background task which ensures the logging is done before the step continues so you never miss an image. If the data logging step is also logging to the FTP server, this could definitely explain that behavior. If the previous suggestion doesn't help, you could also try using Cerberus FTP Server...this one is very reliable (I think FileZilla is also reliable).

Hope that helps,

Brad

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 29
(3,096 Views)

Hi Brad,

switched from FileZilla to WIN7-IIS. Background task logging is disabled (ever since). Forgot to mention, taht when I have it up and runnig in a heavy loop it stops working after approx 7 minutes.

IIS - Log is different from Filezilla. When it doesn't write the file (FTP-wise) there is no log entry writtten. From FileZilla times I remember sometihng like described earlier -> "/" is current directory and then silence...

After the logging step I do TCP-I/O and report the generated filename. This is correct all the time, and the timestamp is appended correct too.  However the file is not stored.

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 29
(3,091 Views)

Thanks,  Brad and martinwww 

Unlike you guys who already have so much experience in LabView or VBAI programming. I am going through my learning curve now.

So, Martinwww, do you suggest to add " Read Text" Step before the "image logging"? 

So, Brad, do you mean to create a vi using our LV 8.6 as you gave here and run it in the VBAI? 

I will give a shot for both of your suggestions. Thanks 

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 29
(3,083 Views)

Hi allendale,

I just noticed that a failing read text has an impact on image logging. Don't add it if you don't need it. It doesen't make it work or even work better.

I'd suggest to create an inspection with only the image loggin in place. Set it as startup inspection. Reboot the smart-cam. Don't connect the inspection-interface (VBAI)

This will eventually work. Rebooting is essential. Something seems ti screw up the devices memory and makes ftp logging misbehave.

I will not investigate any further, as I don't have the time to do it. Upon request id however try this and that if you want me to.

Hope you guys find a workarround. I doubt NI will fix the library component. I blame it on: ""vbai\plugins\87 IVB Image Logging.llb" or the cameras TCP -Stack.

Wiresharking would be an option...

Good luck!

Martin

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 29
(3,066 Views)

Have wiresharked. Log attached. First ~30 images worked well. Started VBAI -> Inspect Product. No new images stored. Closed VBAI. Images stored again.

VBAI connected at arround packet # 534.

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 29
(3,060 Views)

Martinwww,

Just to be clear, if you use just a Simulate Acquisition step and Image Logging step does it still lose connection? Which smart camera are you using? What version of VBAI are you using? Just trying to see what is required to reproduce this issue so we can try and get to the bottom of it.

Thanks,

Brad

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 29
(3,055 Views)

Hi Brad,

Versions:

Camera:  NI1742

VBAI: 2009 SP1  - Build 20091211185317

I tried a blank inspection, added some steps to confuse it, but it looged to ftp stable. Both with aquire and simulate.

I switched to my problem inspection, didn't simulate here, sorry. However when debugging the inspection from VBAI -> run inloop,

after one loop the text below the ftp-logging step was "login error". The result however was the filename.

Meanwhile CWD and PWD commands go ftp-wise.

Hope this helps.

Martin

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 29
(3,048 Views)

Brad, I tried just used "image logging". If I click the run once at the bottom, it shows "pass"; If I click the "run once" button on the top, the single inspection step shows "fail". I think I have done all what I can do for this setup. I am thinking temperally I let it be because this trouble shooting has taken so much time and efforts. I will probably try to use the LabView with real time module. If you have any suggestions please advise anytime.

Always appreciate your ardent responses which are really helpful. Thanks a lot.   

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 29
(3,021 Views)