From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple motion tracking using ROI and Edge detection

Hi everyone, my university project requires the software to track the movement of multiple objects. Any moving object in the image will have a tracking box. I'm using a USB camera.

So far I have done subtraction, filtering and morphology to obtain a binary image which shows blobs which represents movements itself. Since these blobs represents movement, I thought of using edge detection to obtain ROIs for these blobs and then use the overlay box to display the tracking to the user. However, I am extremely unfamiliar with the usage of edge detections and ROIs in general. This is my first time using LabView and doing image processing. I am lost and really need help. If there are better ways to do perform my project's goal, please tell me. And if anyone is kind enough to help or guide me in doing the edge detection and ROIs would be greatly appreciated as I have no idea how to use or connect the edge detection and ROI blocks inside LabView. I have attached a simple version of my program that contains the edge detection part. Any help is appreciated. The main VI is "Prototype.vi". The other one is the sub VI.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,809 Views)

If you have a binary image with blobs, you are most of the way there.

Use blob analysis to get all sorts of data about each blob.  Some of the data is the boundaries of the blob (left, right, top, bottom) which you can use to create a rectangle ROI.

Bruce

Bruce Ammons
Ammons Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,756 Views)