Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Camera 3D Vision - Possible? Examples?

I am interested in using multiple cameras for 3D analysis. I used Stereo Vision with Labview a couple years ago using the stereo example that NI provides. Can I use more than 2-cameras and create a 3D point cloud or a 3D image (depth), similar to the stereo vision tools? In my case, I am considering using 4 cameras to create a 3D map (or point cloud) of an object approximately 12mm square with depths/grooves as deep as 5mm. The geometry of the depth features do not make me concerned about occlusions. Note that my application is high speed (fast moving parts) and that I am looking for an alternative to 3D using laser triangulation.

1. Has anyone used multi-camera (3 or more) images in Labview to create a point cloud or 3D image? If so, what toolkit did you use?
  2. Does Labview have any example VIs beyond stereo for 3D reconstruction?
  3. As my object is small in size and the depths I'm looking to detect our half the size of the object, it is not possible for me to space the cameras very far apart on the horizontal plane. Therefore, I am considering bunching up all four cameras into a tight square above my part. How can I calculate whether this geometry will suffice to provide the required disparity to get the depth (and accuracy of that depth) perception I require?

I appreciate the help and comments!

-Chris

Chris Walker
Certified Labview Developer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,283 Views)

1)you have to study on other method of 3d scanning beside stereo for this reason 
study on photo geometry  and ghost imaging method 
2)also your particle should acquire atleast 4 pixel (2*2) for possibility of using blokh algorithm in stereo 
3) for using more than 2 camera with stereo you have to calibrate your camera position and find atleast one reference point ofter that you can over map data based on reference point 
but it is not so easy but it is possible 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,250 Views)