Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW interface to Pelco s5320 Spectra HD

Solved!
Go to solution

Wait before you uninstall Vision (No harm but...) try installing a new direct show and see if it works

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 19
(2,869 Views)

Isnt Direct Show part of Direct X? 

Steven Howell
Certified LabVIEW Developer
Certified Professional Instructor
Systems Developer
Optimation - Houston
steven.howell@optimation.us
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 19
(2,868 Views)

First things first.  Determine if the IP/Web Cam driver solution is working by trying to use it with something like Skype, Yahoo Messenger, or the TinyChat.com service.  If the camera video can be pulled into any of these, then there is no problem with DirectMedia.

Machine Vision, Robotics, Embedded Systems, Surveillance

www.movimed.com - Custom Imaging Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 19
(2,862 Views)

I just tried it with Skype, it is not working. I get a "connecting to camera..." on a black screen, this never changes. The video input is set to MJPEG, I've also tried JPEG. 

The camera is set for 2 streams, the primary is H.264, the secondary to JPEG. The settings will not let me change the second to MJPEG. 

I tried changing the primary to MJPEG and still the same thing. I think it might be something with the camera, Pelco might have a proprietary format? 

I am going to give them a call and see what they can tell me. 

Steven Howell
Systems Developer
Optimation - Houston
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 19
(2,857 Views)

Please let us know if you hear anything

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 19
(2,853 Views)

I was unable to get the adapter to work, Pelco support was of no help whatsoever as this is a small project so they are not going to put time and resources into it.

I have downloaded the Pelco SDK, but I am unfamiliar with calling DLLs from LabVIEW, I have read several tutorials and it makes sense on how to do this, however, I am unsure on which dll's to call and use? 

When I point to the DLL in LabVIEW in the Call Library Function Node, most of the time, the drop down box for the functions is not active. 

Not sure what to do at this point. Never have been a text based programmer, I can understand what the code is doing when I review some of the example programs in the SDK, but I still do not understand which dll I need to use to pull video from this camera? 

Steven Howell
Systems Developer
Optimation - Houston
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 19
(2,841 Views)

I did a bit of research this weekend on this.  Mostly, I looked at smartphone apps that can view IP cams, so I could see the URL format.

For the pelco cameras like the Spectra HD, the url was simply http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:pppp

Can you list the url formats you have tried so far?  If the camera supports being viewed from a web browser, you should be able to link up to it from the IP-USB software.  If not, try another spftware.  It is possible that the one you picked is not that great.

Message 17 of 19
(2,825 Views)

Writing wrappers for DLLs in LabVIEW is kind of a crap shoot.  Auto Import of DLLs rarely works, so you have to code it all by hand.  A lot of function calls will require you to handle callbacks.  It's a headache if C++/C is not you primary language.

Message 18 of 19
(2,820 Views)

Thanks again for the info.

I am moving forward with the .NET SDK and have made some headway. The constructors are pretty intuitive and I have direct access to the objects and methods this way. 

Hopefully I will be able to test sometime later this week. 

Steven Howell
Systems Developer
Optimation - Houston
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 19
(2,808 Views)