cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW interface to Pelco s5320 Spectra HD

Solved!
Go to solution

Good afternoon,

I have a project that I am working on, that utilizes a Pelco s5320 Spectra HD camera. This is an IP based camera, and I attempted to utilize the IMAQ and IMAQdx software to interface to the camera with no luck. The camera has a native web interface through Pelco software, but I would like to interface it through LabVIEW. 

Has anyone else had any such luck with this camera and integrating through LabVIEW?

Thanks

Steven

Steven Howell
Certified LabVIEW Developer
Certified Professional Instructor
Systems Developer
Optimation - Houston
steven.howell@optimation.us
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(5,928 Views)

National Instruments supports Internet Protocol (IP) cameras manufactured by Basler and Axis. An IP camera typically sends a compressed image over an ethernet connection. The NI-IMAQdx driver only supports IP cameras that provide MJPEG images. Axis IP cameras must have firmware version 2.0 (or later) to be supported. 

Is My Camera Supported by National Instruments?

Adnan Zafar
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Coleman Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19
(5,925 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author SHowell73

There are a few options available that can essentially make an IP camera "look" like it is a USB camera (web cam) to the computer.  You can search using terms like IP Camera Skype Yahoo Messenger, etc.  When the driver is installed, the MJPEG stream of the IP camera is brought in, and re-streamed using a basic Direct Media layer, which makes it compatible with IMAQdx.

Machine Vision, Robotics, Embedded Systems, Surveillance

www.movimed.com - Custom Imaging Solutions
Message 3 of 19
(5,920 Views)

I never knew that.  I am having a very old dvt camera. I going to try and use it as an usb camera.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(5,904 Views)

Thanks for the information. I found the following link with a driver install, will this likely work?

http://ip-webcam.appspot.com/

Steven Howell
Systems Developer
Optimation - Houston
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(5,900 Views)

I have tried the software to convert to Direct Cam, but it doesnt appear to be working. It appears that the images are using the H.264 format. 

Any suggestions?

Steven Howell
Systems Developer
Optimation - Houston
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(5,868 Views)

That camera should have • Two simultaneous video streams: Dual
H.264 or H.264 and scalable MJPEG.

You simply need the correct URL to link up to.  It may be that you have to configure the camera stream from its web interface.

Machine Vision, Robotics, Embedded Systems, Surveillance

www.movimed.com - Custom Imaging Solutions
Message 7 of 19
(5,866 Views)

ok thanks. I am thinking I might be having a firewall issue. This is a large corporation and you know how IT groups like to lock down things. Going back out tomorrow, will see if I can connect it directly to my laptop and acquire images using the convertor software I downloaded. 

Steven Howell
Systems Developer
Optimation - Houston
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(5,864 Views)

@muks wrote:

I never knew that.  I am having a very old dvt camera. I going to try and use it as an usb camera.

It is not getting detected. Am I missing something?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(5,849 Views)

I think I may have found the problem. I looked in MAX, and it sees the camera, however when I click on it in MAX, I get an error talking about scarabs. I did a search and it mentions that some of the driver software may be corrupted or missing. I am de-installing and re-installing Vision on this machine and will try again. Thinking that Direct Show may have got corrupted somehow. 

Steven Howell
Systems Developer
Optimation - Houston
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
(5,842 Views)