Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Vision won't create large AVI File

Solved!
Go to solution

Cool. Lagarith is lossless, so there is no reduction in image quality (assuming you're at 8-bit depth). For me, it's been great. It's reduced some of my videos from  ~2 GB down to ~300 MB and is lightweight enough that I can do it as I acquire instead of after the fact.

There's still the issue of other people not having the codec installed, but it's open source and integrates with Windows Media Player so I can get my less tech savvy co-workers going with a quick and easy codec install.

I'd definitely be interested in your file transfer progress work. Maybe start a new post or throw it up on the user-submitted code section?

-Jody

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 34
(3,225 Views)

@JodyK wrote:

There's a LOT of different threads on the 2GB limitation of AVI2. I'm not sure there's an official CAR, bu the NI Developers should be aware of it.

Yes, this already filed as CAR #447771

Eric

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 34
(3,216 Views)

Jody

Thanks for the info about the Lagarith codex, I will look into it.

I have posted an example vi for transfering a large file with a progress bar under  Window 7

The example title is

File Transfer with Progress Bar

Let me know if it was of any help.

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 34
(3,206 Views)

Eric

Can you detail the the link to

CAR #447771

I cannot find it on the site.  Must be using the wrong key word or term

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 34
(3,196 Views)

@PAR wrote:

Eric

Can you detail the the link to

CAR #447771

I cannot find it on the site.  Must be using the wrong key word or term

Paul

CAR is our internal bug-tracking system. Unless referenced by a KB or other source, the details are not generally public. The two reasons for why sometimes people ask for them are:

-If you run into this issue in your application, you may wish to reference it when filing a support request so that your SR details are linked into the CAR (so we have some idea of how many people are affected by this issue)

-When we release new versions, the release notes generally contain a list of fixed bugs with the CAR #'s included

As for this particular CAR, the details in it simply indicate that the new AVI2 functions don't really work for files >2GB.

Eric

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 34
(3,194 Views)

Eric

Thanks for the info. 

The problem is that the  LabVIEW Vision Known Issues details only that with AVI2  Write function data cannot be imbeded into an image .  I does not metion AVI2 Write (and I assume Read) is limited to 2 GB.  

Someone could get caught out without that knowledge.

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 34
(3,187 Views)

Hey 

i have the same problem at the moment. How do you write constantly the image into one file and how do you read it again?

Could you post an example of how you reached this? 🙂

Yours Philipp

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 34
(3,106 Views)

I banged into the 2 GB limitation today, and saw this tip. Unfortunately, this old library (AVI1.llb) doesn't accept my NI codecs under LabVIEW 2015, and of the few other ones in the OS, only two worked, giving me very bad video quality, partly destroyed. My images are 1984 x 2046 32bit RGB. Any other suggestion on how to come around this 2GB limitation under LabVIEW 2015 or later ?

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 34
(1,523 Views)

I would suggest not compressing your images at all.  Although it takes more storage space, the file is universal and there is no loss of resolution.  At the same time you can use the AVI1 suite of program and get by the 2 Gb limit.  

Paul 

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 34
(1,505 Views)

I don't knom if this has been mentioned before, and it probably has very little importance these days, but some older file systems do not support files larger that 2GB. This is probably not the case with most storage devices, but some might be using FAT32 for compatibility with the broadest range of OSes.

Machine Vision, Robotics, Embedded Systems, Surveillance

www.movimed.com - Custom Imaging Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 30 of 34
(1,503 Views)