From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image tearing when updating display

This issue has been around before, but to my knowledge it has not been solved. 

I want to send a series of phase stepped fringes patterns to a remote monitor in a continuous sequence. The problem is that using an image display to show the fringes leads to problems with image tearing because updating the display is not synced with the monitor refresh rate in LV. There is a supposed work around that involves using the IMAQ windnontearing function and displaying the fringes using IMAQ Windraw. This seems to work OK when the window is on the primary monitor, but as soon as I move the display window to a second monitor then updating of the window ceases.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks

Simon 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,136 Views)

A temporary, although not ideal, solution is to use a second PC as the device outputting to the 2nd monitor. The 2nd monitor is the primary monitor for the 2nd PC. You can then communicate with the 2nd PC via network shared variables and tell it which image to display to a nontearing window. This seems to work fine. However, it would be simpler and cheaper if I could use just one PC.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,111 Views)

Hi SimonAlfred,

I have tested your application on my side where I have two monitor displays with resolution of 1600X900 and 1920X1080 respectively.

Upon running the code I have seen that the image window that is displayed worked fine on the second monitor (1920X1080) but when moved across the first monitor then I would see that the image window is not updating. However if press the 'Non-tearing' button before running the main VI so that the value is set to false, then I am able to see the image window to update normally on both screens.

I was wondering whether you are experiencing this issue when the 'Non'tearing' button is either pressed or not before running the Main.VI.

GajanS

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,059 Views)
Hi Gajan, I can get the image window to update on both monitors simultaneously if the "non tearing" button is set to false. However, in this case tearing of the image is still evident which is what I want to get rid of by setting the "non-tearing" button to true. I want an image to be updated on the remote monitor with no or minimal tearing. Regards Simon
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,057 Views)

Is your second monitor on a USB dock? I have had issues with faster graphics as this loads my processor and not my GPU

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,042 Views)

No DVI

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,032 Views)