Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMAQ at 800 x 600?

Hi there!

I am using Trust webcam which has a 640 x 480 hardware resolution and a 1.3 megapixel snapshot resolution (it's an easy to use USB device).

When I however open it with IMAQ, it has a resolution of 800 x 600.

However, when I use my webcam that's built in my laptop (max capture resolution is 1280x1024) it is also displayed at 800 x 600, or at least, it says so. I can reach this level by setting the resolution.

But how am I able to reach 800x600 resolution with a 640x480 resolution webcam?

Am I overlooking something extremely basic here?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,441 Views)

Hello,

I would say that your native resolution is 640x480 pixels (that's how many physical elements the sensor actually has), so that's 0.3 megapixels. You cannot have higher hardware resolution than the number of acutal pixels.

Regarding the higher resolution, this is due to the software interpolation (resizing and resampling the image), which makes it possible to increase the image size, filling the interpolated values. The 1.3 megapixel snapshot resolution is due to the static scene - taking still images (very little blur).

In general, if you want to capture quality images, you should disregard the interpolated resolution and consider the native resolution. Considering this, you can always spend more money and buy a better camera, but the important part is determining the proper camera for your application. If your camera is up for the task, don't be bothered by this.

Best regards,

K

https://decibel.ni.com/content/blogs/kl3m3n

"Kudos: Users may give one another Kudos on the forums for posts that they found particularly helpful or insightful."
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,425 Views)