Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMAQ Generate Pulse3 VI - Max pulses

Hi all,

I have a setup using a Point Grey camera, Camera Link frame grabber card (2 cables), to National Instruments hardware.

PCIe-1433 frame grabber card.

Camera Link I/O extension board (PCIe).

I'm running LabVIEW 2013 (Full), and I have the Vision Development Module 2013 (Full).

I'm running on Windows 7, 64-bit, Professional.

In the LabVIEW vi, I'm using 'IMAQ Generate Pulse3 VI' to trigger events on the hardware (throw a relay, light a light, etc) while the camera is capturing video (at 280 fps).

Over the course of a video capture session (many seconds), I trigger up to 3 events, and call 'IMAQ Generate Pulse3 VI' each time.

All the above is working.

My end user has requested some modifications, and I need to understand the limitations of the system before I quote the changes.

According to the help window for the 'IMAQ Generate Pulse3 VI', the following limitation applies:

"The NI 1427, NI 1429, NI 1433, and NI 1435 can generate a maximum of 3 pulses. "

If I call this VI and ask it to generate a pulse train, like start in 0.001 secs and generate a train with width of 0.5 seconds, and I let that run, does that count as 1 pulse as indicated in the help screen?

Or will that stop when it gets to the third pulse and return an error?

Thanks,

Jeff

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,401 Views)

I haven't tried it, but I assume any pulses you generate consume a pulse resource until you call it again with the "stop" parameter. Maybe a pulse that is one-time-only (as opposed to a recurring trigger) will auto-cleanup the resource when it completes but I am not sure.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,398 Views)

I didn't know about this limitation, when I need retriggering I usually use products like this : http://www.gardasoft.com/LED-Controllers/CC320/

It's quite easy to program it to re-generate x pulse at the rate you want for each incoming pulse.

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,385 Views)

We are working on one project based on smart camera. In this we want to trigger electromagnet upon detecting predetermined color. We have made VI to to detect particular color so can you help us in building VI to trigger electromagnet?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,824 Views)

Hello prp2794,

There are a couple of things I want to touch on:

1) It isn't appropriate to ask others on the forums to do your work for you.  If you have specific questions, most people in the community will be more than happy to help.  Otherwise, it is important that you take ownership of your project - not just for this project alone, but for all the professional and personal projects you work on in the future.  This is noted in Community Rule #1: "Respect people's time and attention by asking specific, well-thought-out questions and sharing the troubleshooting and research you conducted before you posted to the NI Discussion Forums".

2) This forum discussion is almost 3 years old - posting here probably won't get you much luck.  I would suggest making a new post on the Machine Vision discussion forums, but only if you have more specific questions.  See Community Rule #3: "If you have a new question, please start a new thread and do not post to a thread that has been inactive for multiple years."

It looks like you are a new forum user, so I don't think you should take this too hard.  We have to protect the community by ensuring that those who are helping are not being taken advantage of and by ensuring that those asking for help are learning and developing, not simply using the forums as a place to find others to do the work for them.  This ensures that we have a growing base of knowledge as people learn and pass on what they learn.

You can find more help on how to successfully use this forum by checking out the posted tips and guidelines that has been developed to help users understand how to best navigate this forum.

Happy Developing!

George B.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,810 Views)