cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMAQ AVI Read Frame vs. IMAQ AVI2 Read Frame, no data terminal

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I just noticed when dropping a IMAQ AVI2 Read Frame vi in place of an older IMAQ AVI Read Frame vi, there is no "data out" terminal.  I do make use of this feature to add data to the frames of the AVI.  Is there supposed to be an alternative way to store this frame data, using the imaq image custom info perhaps?  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,713 Views)

Hello David,

You are correct in that the data out terminal is no longer available in the AVI2 functions. However you can use the IMAQ Read Custom Data and IMAQ Write Custom Data functions. These allow you to write and read custom data to the IMAQ images using specified keys. In this way you can add miscellaneous data to your images for later use.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,689 Views)
Solution
Accepted by david_jenkinson
Custom data added to the images in this manner are not preserved using the AVI2 methods. If you need additional data on the image, you currently still need to use the old AVI methods. That functionality is still on the "wish-list" to add to the AVI2 methods.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(5,682 Views)

+1 for Frame Data in AVI2. I'm still relying on the AVI frame data feature and, if removing the old AVI VIs set from palette is a step toward obsolescing them, I'd regret its absence.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,829 Views)
I wonder too why old IMAQ AVI could open more avi format than new one ?
it always told that there is no codec for this avi?!
that is weird
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,818 Views)

@Hatef wrote:
I wonder too why old IMAQ AVI could open more avi format than new one ?
it always told that there is no codec for this avi?!
that is weird

OT perhaps here? Have you seen this thread instead: http://forums.ni.com/t5/Machine-Vision/New-v-s-Old-AVI-VI-s-Codec-Problems/m-p/2999571

Message 6 of 9
(4,816 Views)
what i could say is that labview vision do not work strongly in this area and it is not good no supporting of other video format make many problem to work with video files
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,804 Views)

This is not the case, I just tried it finally.  I was scared to try due to another commenter saying it's not possible, it turns out he's right.  When reading back the video and trying to extract the data using "read custom data", double checking my "key" name, I get the error:

Error Message: IMAQ Read Custom Data

IMAQ Vision: (Hex 0xBFF605B5) The key you specified cannot be found in the image. [Error Code: -1074395723]

So it appears I need to revert (fortunately I use Perforce) and use the original avi tools.  However, the reason I was trying to switch over is I am in the midst of transitioning to 64 bit teststand and labview, and I ran into a codec issue.  Long story.  But I'll try and get away with the original tools.

There absolutely needs to be a fix to this.  Seems crazy to get rid of it.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,475 Views)

FYI, thought I'd post back after I opened a ticket with NI, and what came out of it.

Basically, the the new "AVI2" dropped the custom frame data terminal from AVI1, and it is on their "list" to add it back.  If you're code breaks when going to AVI2, and you need to go to AVI2 for any reason (mine was framerate related) and you want frame metadata, you have to code a method yourself outside of the AVI.  IMO I thought this was quite surprising to drop functionality like that.  We are probably going to migrate to a different AVI method all together outside of NI vision , perhaps OpenCV functions or such.  

Thought someone might benefit from this info so they don't spend a lot of time chasing the issue.

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,267 Views)