From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to monitor the water droplets and calculate their velocity?

Hi, I am a LabView novice. I have never used it before but since I found LabView may be able to help my project, I have to start to learn how to use it.

Here is my question,

I have a chamber containing some kind of solution. At the bottom of the chamber align 34 small holes and each of them is connected to a small tubing. The droplets will fall down vertically at a speed of 18mL/h.

Now, I need a device or a system that can help me to:

1. monitor the droplets 24/7. If one or some of the droplets stop dropping, which indicates that the tubing is stuck, the system should be able to send an alarm message (like email or text message) to the somebody so that the guy can immediately go to replace the tubing with a new one;

2.calculate the velocity of droplets which, if possible, will spontaneously be shown on the screen or somewhere else.

How can I finish these tasks with the use of LabView? Where should I start from (what software or what program)?  What kind of camera do I need for the monitoring system? 

I really need your help! Thank you guys! 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,317 Views)

I introduce two method for doing this 
one using pattern matching for  chasing droplet and also find velocity of them 
i was do it before for microfludic channels 
2 if your tube is in straight line also you can improve speed of your code by analysing of intensity line profile change in your droplet line

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,289 Views)

Thank you for your reply!

Could you specify more about it? Since I am a beginner, an example will be helpful I think.

Best Wishes!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,271 Views)

If you have installed Vision development module and labview already, you can check examples in

Help->Find Examples-> Search for Keywords and you get planty of examples.

Thanks
uday
Message 4 of 5
(3,264 Views)

do you have vision toolkit?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,257 Views)