Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to calibrate Line scan Camera?

Hello,

I need to know how can  I calibrate Line scan camera , I used Distortion model grid calibration for small field of view Area scan camera for taking real world measurements but I need to know that for capturing a huge area image say 1400mmX400mm how can I calibrate this huge area Image?

I mean the objects to be inspected will be placed in this huge area and I want its geometrical measurements. Please give me links for documents on how to calibrate linescan cameras?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,126 Views)

There will be two separate calibrations.  The first is the line camera pixel axis, which will correct any distortion due to the lens, etc.  The second is the axis of travel, perpendicular to the line of pixels.

You could print a large calibration dot grid if you want, and scan it.  You just have to calibrate each axis separately.  The pixel line can have variations in scale, usually smaller or larger at the edges than in the center.  The other axis should be extremely linear, since it is due to travel of the line image across the object.  In this direction, you just need to measure the dot spacing and calculate the pixels per inch or whatever your units are.

There are many ways to calibrate an image.  It really depends on your hardware setup to determine which ones are feasible.

Bruce

Bruce Ammons
Ammons Engineering
Message 2 of 2
(3,079 Views)