Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to build an installer that lets the end user configure GigE cameras via NI MAX

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

Context

Some time ago, we developed an IMAQdx-based LabVIEW application for a customer. The same application runs on multiple computers which have similar hardware (including GigE cameras). The customer has the freedom to change camera settings via NI MAX before launching the application. Back then, I manually set up each of those computers by inserting my NI Developer Suite DVDs and installing the required drivers.

Now, the customer wants to deploy the same application on more computers.

Actions/Issue

To simplify the set-up process, I decided to create a self-contained installer (using the LabVIEW Application Builder) that contains all the necessary NI drivers to run the application on a fresh new PC (which has no existing NI software). In the Build Specification -> Additional Installers, I selected all the vision-related installers available, namely:

• NI Vision Common Resources 2014 SP1
  • NI-IMAQdx Runtime 14.0

We ran the installer on a new PC, activated the Vision Acquisition Software license, and rebooted the computer. Unfortunately, we were unable to see the GigE camera inside NI MAX.

I then inserted the NI Device Drivers DVD into the customer's computer. It showed us that some drivers were not installed, namely:

• Vision Acquisition Software -> NI-IMAQdx 14.0 -> Driver Support -> High-Performance GigE Vision Driver
  • Vision Acquisition Software -> NI-IMAQdx 14.0 -> Development Support

20161219c Missing IMAQdx Subset.png

20161219d IMAQdx Final Installation Summary.png

I went ahead and installed these drivers, then rebooted the PC. Voila, the GigE camera now shows up in NI MAX.

Questions

It looks like Build Specification -> Additional Installers does not provide an option that supports IMAQdx configuration in NI MAX. Other NI drivers do have such options, e.g.

• NI-DAQmx Runtime with Configuration Support
  • NI-Serial Configuration
  • NI-VISA Configuration Support

20161219b Additional Installers.png

Does IMAQdx have something similar? How can I create an simple installer that lets the customer configure their cameras via NI MAX?

Thanks!

Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,388 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JKSH

Hello,

You're correct that the "NI-IMAQdx Runtime" deployable installer does not provide MAX configuration support. However, you can deploy "NI-IMAQdx" to provide MAX configuration support to the customer. This option is available for:

• NI-IMAQdx 14.5 and later (Installs with Vision Acquisition Software February 2015)
  • Installers built by LabVIEW 2011 and later

In order to include "NI-IMAQdx" in your installer, you may need to uncheck:

Alternately, if your customer only needed to select a camera without changing settings, you can add camera enumeration to the built LabVIEW application. For more information, see What is NI-IMAQdx Runtime and Why is My Session In Control Disabled in My Executable?

Regards,

Andrew Brown

Software Engineer
National Instruments
Message 2 of 3
(3,332 Views)

Hello Andrew,

Thank you for your solution.

I've refrained from upgrading my development PC's copy of IMAQdx to 14.5 or later, because of the compatibility break at http://forums.ni.com/t5/Machine-Vision/IMAQdx-14-5-breaks-compatibility-with-IMAQdx-14-0/m-p/3168479, and it is difficult to upgrade the drivers for the multiple machines that are actively used in production.

However, since it looks like upgrading is the only way to produce a nice installer, I'll try to organize a company-wide upgrade for the customer.

Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,312 Views)