Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to acquire images in MAX from FLIR A310 camera

Hello all,

I'm starting a project and have to develop an application in Labview using an infrared camera from FLIR.

I have followed all the instructions in the FLIR Getting Started Guide. I have installed the FLIR IP Config and the FLIR IR Monitor. All worked fine, I can find the camera in the network (is an IP camera) and see images with the IR Monitor.

But, when open the MAX I can't see the camera under NI-IMAQdx Devices, so MAX can't find the camera.

From FLIR founded these answer: http://flir.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/757/kw/labview

They said:

"

How can LabVIEW read/write properties of a camera connected via NI MAX?

Attend the LabVIEW example "IMAQdx Examples.llb\Grab and Attributes Setup.vi". It shows how attributes of a camera can be accessed for this kind of connection. Note that FLIR highly recommends using Thermovision LabVIEW Toolkit. Using MAX-based image acquisition is not recommended .

"

I don't understand if the Thermovision Labview Toolkit it is needed in order to do what I want, or only recommended.

One more thing, somebody know why they don't recomend using MAX-based image acquisition?

Thanks..

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,297 Views)

I don't think the 310 is supported in IMAQdx because it does not support GigE Vision. You'd need to use their 315 model (or one of their other ones supporting GigE vision) to have support in IMAQdx (see http://www.flir.com/thermography/americas/us/content/?id=17982).

That said, I believe FLIR might sell some sort of toolkit that integrates their cameras into LabVIEW without using the IMAQdx driver. I don't know any further details about their software offerings so you'd have to check with them.

Eric

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,296 Views)

Thanks BlueCheese for answer.

In order to avoid confusion I didn't explain some details. Now I have a FLIR A310 that the local distributor loan to us, until the arrive of the A315 cameras we have bought.

Something that worries me is the fact that they discourage using MAX-based image acquisition. That is without mention the interface of the camera.

I have asked to the FLIR local distributor, but I'm still waiting. I will try by posting the question in their web.

I will let you know.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,291 Views)

Hello,

Well, the A serie from FLIR that ends with xx5 are GigE compliant, and those ending with xx0 are not.

In order to use A310 under LabVIEW, you will need the FLIR Toolkit (not free, thet use an activex) but you will never be able to see it in MAX.

But for the xx5 models, as they are Genicam, you will be able to see it in max and use them through IMAQdx.

Hope this helps

NTA_LabView_certified_Developper.jpg
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,288 Views)

Thank for answer Toto,

We are in contact with the local distributor of FLIR and may be they'll give us one license for the toolkit without extra-charge (the toolkit here is about 3,5K).

In about 2 weeks, we'll have the A315 camera, so, I'll be able to know if the toolkit makes the difference or not.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,275 Views)

Does a frame grabber help us acquire the data . and control the features of the camera (A310). Iam planning to buy A310 which is a ethernet interface  but i am not looking forward for the toolkit from flir. we  have ni 8235 frame grabber in hand will it help me acquire the image and control the camera.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,091 Views)

Hi!

No, a frame grabber will not help either. The FLIR A310 has only a standard 100baseT Ethernet interface. FLIR is using a proprietary protocol and image format. Hence you will need their "FLIR LabVIEW Toolkit" if you are using the A310. You will not need the toolkit when you use the GeniCAM compliant FLIR A315 or A615.

There is also a brand new camera on the market - the FLIR A35. It is also GeniCAM compliant, but cost about half. It is not quite as accurate as the A315 when it comes to absolute temperature measurements.

We are a FLIR Distributor and NI Alliance Partner and can help with cameras, integration and LabVIEW programming.

Best,

Markus

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,811 Views)
Hi Epsilon.
Thanks for great tip.

Now I'm using FLIR A35 camera with LabVIEW.
But I could not get correct temperature image or data with the camera.

I just got the camera image but the I could not get temperature value
FLIR said, change MAX camera attribute settings named 'TemperatureLinearMode' and 'TemperatureLinearResolution'
But I can't find it.

They said ' Change software', I reinstalled driver.
But problem is not clear until now

Let me help

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,356 Views)