From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you track a moving object using Labview and Vision Assistant

I am using Vision and Labview to create a program that tracks and follow a moving object using a high end camera. Basically what it does is it detects a foreign object and locks on to it and follows it where ever it goes in a control sized room.
I have no idea how to do this. Please help. Or is there an available example.
Thanks.
Message 1 of 7
(12,954 Views)

Hello,

It sounds like you want to look into a Vision technique called Pattern Matching.  Using our Vision tools, you can look for a image, called a template, within another image.  Vision will scan over the entire image of interest trying to see if there are any matches with the template.  It will return the number of matches and their coordinates within the image of interest.  You would take a picture of the object and use it as the template to search for.  Then, take a picture of the entire room and use pattern matching to determine at what coordinates that template is found in the picture.  Doing this multiple times, you can track the movement of the object as it moves throughout the room.  If you have a motion system that will have to move the camera for you, it will complicate matters very much, but would still be possible to do.  You would have to have a feedback loop that, depending on where the object is located, adjusts the angle of the camera appropriately.

There are a number of different examples a that perform pattern matching.  There are three available in the example finder.  In LabVIEW, navigate to "Help » Find Examples".  On the "Browse" tab, browse according to "Directory Structure".  Navigate to "Vision » 2. Functions".  There are examples for "Pattern Matching", "Color Pattern Matching", and "Geometric Matching".  There are also dozens of pattern matching documents and example programs on our website.  From the homepage at www.ni.com, you can search in the top-right corner the entire site for the keywords, "pattern matching". 

If you have Vision Assistant, you can use this to set up the pattern matching sequence.  When it is complete and customized to your liking, you can convert that into LabVIEW code by navigating to "Tools » Create LabVIEW VI..."  This is probably the easiest way to customize any type of vision application in general.

I hope this helps you get started.  Take care and good luck!

Regards,

Aaron B.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
Message 2 of 7
(12,921 Views)

Hello,sir

I've tried to use the pattern matching technique to track the object,and it worked.But,I can't go farer from the web cam i'm using .If i go far form the camera ,the tracking is lost .Pls help me how to achieve tracking the object moving around the room. I am doing my Final year project of Fall detection system for elderly using Labview.Thank You.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(12,132 Views)

Hi,
I'm new in LabView. I'm working with AR drone and i'm trying to create a program with which it to track an object. In Vision Assistant 2014 there is object tracking. Someone know how can i implement this program using object tracking?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(11,172 Views)

Hello,

Labview tracking library offers meanshift and camshift (shape adapted mean shift) algorithms. You can look at the example here:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/blogs/kl3m3n/2013/08/15/labview-object-tracking-vision-development-mo...

(the example does not use Vision Assistant)

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

K

https://decibel.ni.com/content/blogs/kl3m3n

"Kudos: Users may give one another Kudos on the forums for posts that they found particularly helpful or insightful."
Message 5 of 7
(11,168 Views)

hi,i am also final year student, can u say how to track analog voltmeter needle by using labview. I do my best but tracking does not work properly while track analog voltmeter.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,266 Views)

@satheesh18 wrote:

hi,i am also final year student, can u say how to track analog voltmeter needle by using labview. I do my best but tracking does not work properly while track analog voltmeter.

This is an old thread. I would recommend to start a new thread and explain what you tried and define vague terms such as "properly", "not work" and "best". There are millions of ways for it not to work (and thousands of ways for it to work!) and your post does not really narrow it down. What's your vision hardware? How are you trying to do it? What results do you get? Can you show us a picture of the analog voltmeter so we get a better idea of the problem?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,253 Views)