Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Speed Camera measurement

I am trying to spec out a system that will be able to be triggered by a TTL pulse which will capture imaging of a rotating blade that is rotating at 10000 rpm.   We would like to adjust

the phase of the trigger to be able to capture an image of the blade and measure the angle of the blade.   The blade angle will vary from 0 degrees to 60 degrees.    Is there a specific camera / NI system that can do this that anyone can recommend

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,817 Views)

Cravegolf,

Are you just trying to acquire the image of the blade while it is in a certain position on the shaft (ie, always straight up). Your wording is throwing me off just a bit and I want to make sure I understand you correctly.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,773 Views)

Hello there; 

I believe that the constraint in the system is the shutter speed, if I understood correctly you are not trying to take 10,000 pictures every second but you are interestedon taking a picture at a precise moment to determine the blade angle.

The smallertha exposure time, the better "precision" you will have at detecting the angle difference (otherwise you will get a ghost) for example to capture a photo where you can see a 10 degree difference between the images,, you need a camera with exposure time of about 13 us; and that information is usaually found the manual

How Do I Determine My Camera Shutter Speed?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/53A579B10ACB5FF8862572F10076D613

For Basler cameras you could use an Aviator GigE (12 usec) which is also sold by NI

http://www.cosyco.de/kameras/flaechenkameras/basler/xxlpdf/Aviator_GigE_Handbuch.pdf (page 82)

After getting the appropiate camera, you will need to adjust the exposure time and frame rate settings. 

Hope this helps. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,770 Views)

The blade I am trying to capture the angle of is kind of like a prop on an airplane.    We are looking at the pitch / angle of the blade and trying to compare that to

the torque that the blade is creating.    Currently they use a crude method of looking through a window with a strobe light timed to the position of the blade.   They then

look through a clear protractor and get an idea of the blade angle.    I was thinking of using a high speed camera and if you can have the frame capture an image with it in view of the window and then through either cursors or movable lines on a screen can more accurately determine the angle of the tip of the rotor.

Attached is a crude schematic showing the prop at 0 degrees and 60 degrees.    We have also looked at optical timing sensors to do it mathmatically but since their

crude optical method works just looking for ways to make it more accurate and controlled vs a human eye trying to determine the angle

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,765 Views)

very cool!

I recomend following the above post then as it appears this is the information you are most looking for. It will depend mostly on shutter speed (unless you can implement a strobe light as well for the camera) as to not get any ghosting in your image.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,760 Views)