From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help in detecting the presence of Faston connectors

Good morning. I really need some advices in a task that i need to complete.

I had done an "inspection application" for electronic boards. A client has the need for investigate the presence of some Faston connectors. This connectors are manually mounted and they are shining. Due to the changing conditions in position and reflectivity i found difficult to obtain stable conditions between inspections. I can't find an inspection algorithm adaptable to this varying conditions. See the image below for an example.

2.jpg

Thank you in advance,

FM

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,705 Views)

could you attach the image of the fasten 

first we have to see if there is feature in this device to focus on 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,695 Views)

As you will never be able to gaurantee the angle relative to the light, contrast will be massively variable. Can you use structured lighting?

If this is set at 45 degrees to the vertical,  and off to one end of the connector you would see the height demonstrated by a change in the line x position in this case.

|

|_

_]

|      

Would show as connector presence

|

|

|

|

|

Would show no connector.

Use the light to make your life as simple as possible

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,690 Views)
what MikeeB told is exactly right but if you could not make source condition constant
you have to do these to solve it
1 use Auto Iris or P Iris lens
2 always check histogram and try to keep it constant in your code
3 if shining make blooming on camera use physical optic filter front of lens
4 when something is shining it tell you that best method is to make binary image to analyse
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,617 Views)

Thank you guys. Problem is i can't work on hardware because is an old and fix configuration with a circular LED arrays. So i must to try with what i have.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,609 Views)