Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help configuring Analog Camera file

I have an old Hamamatsu Vidcon IR camera from which I am trying to digitize in order to perform image processing.  I am having issues with getting NI to acquire video from the camera.  It keeps throwing the error "0xBFF6001F - Cannot detect recognizable video source."

I am using a PCI 1407 framegrabber with the default RS-170 camera file.  I have confirmed correct functioning of the framegrabber as I have acquired images from another analog camera we have in the lab.  The vidicon camera we have works as well as an old analog monitor displays clear images from the unit.  Linking the framegrabber and the vidicon camera does not work and I believe it is due to some settings in the camera file.

The waveform from the vidicon camera is slightly different in two obvious ways (attached picture shows waveforms from another camera that works with my framegrabber (bottom) and my Hamamatsu(top)).  first, the signal voltage seems to be offset by +0.4V in the Hamamatsu.  I have tried altering the "WhiteLevel_mV", WhiteLevel_1407E_mV", and "BlackLevel_1407E_mV" to compensate but it still refuses to acquire images.  There doesn't seem to be any setting that would allow me to specify the depth of the sync signal (changed from -0.27 to +0.1V).

The second problem is the configuration of the VSync signal.  I acquired the Vsync signal from another RS-170 analog camera and have noticed 6 pulses on each the front and back porches, with 6 pulses (31us periodicity) in the Vsync portion while the Hamamatsu has 15-16 pulses (with 15.1us periodicity) and very different tooth duty cycles between the two cameras .  I am unsure what settings to change in the camera file to reflect this different VSync (if there are any) as the only setting is "VSYNCSample".

If anyone is familiar with tweaking RS-170 camera files i'd appreciate some input!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,551 Views)

Hello citra_Stow,

You may have seen this already, but I’m adding it here anyways:

Archived: Error BFF6001F When Acquiring an Image from an NI Analog Frame Grabber

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/A7EEA39E4DD691BA8625742E004053A0?OpenDocument

Unfortunately, this type of analog setup has been out of the market for a while and the support that can be offered on this is very limited. I couldn’t find any internal reference to another customer using this camera or reporting an issue with it either.

Hopefully someone else using this camera before might be able to provide more input.

Regards,

And G

NI

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,504 Views)

Thanks for the input.  I hadn't seen this but have actually done everything on the list already.  The camera works with an old Hitachi monitor (75ohm input impedence) which is why i am surprised that this frame grabber won't acquire images from the camera.  I know using an old camera means support is limited (Hamamatsu already told me they have no literature on the camera anymore) but reviving this camera would save us a lot of money on a system that doesn't require a modern camera.

I am certain it is limited to the camera file and a few of the settings related to the offset of the signal voltage and the difference in number of VSync pulses and the periodicity of the VSync pulses.  The best i've been able to produce from the framegrabber is an image that has problems with interlacing (see attached) and vertical syncing (as it scrolls vertically on the monitor, two attached images are subsequent captures).

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,497 Views)