Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone ever used coaxpress frame grabber with Labview?

Well, this is a generic driver.. If you just have one camera, sometimes even doing something stupid like writing series of images into a RAMdisk, triggered by few dll calls... is sufficient. I've written a wrapper for a SiliconSoftware framegrabber this way once. Anything but elegant, but it worked..

Pleora is actually a company I'd talk to.. basically they build the interface hardware for most devices that use GigE and USB3 and I am sure they are looking at CoaXPress very closely. Decent SDKs too, and they produce converter hardware. We are looking at their CameraLink-to-10GigE ourselves, because our networks are optical anyway and we don't want to deal with framegrabbers. Maybe they have some unreleased things in their pipeline?...

A word of caution about misusing GigE, by the way. My job is to solve problems, but such solutions do not leave the facility and are not sold.
GigE has some licensing conditions that I'm not too familiar with.. most of what I know about I know from using a lot of wireshark and reverse engineering. If you are planning on using this for products, you need to look into those conditions.

Message 11 of 21
(4,668 Views)

It actually sound like a really interesting project. I am sure that CoaxPress is a very good new kind of standard.

IMAQdx actually does a lot of processing since most of the frame grabbers has FPGAs on them, even if there are not reconfigurable. That sound like a really nice approach I hope that you do it work. This is what the community is for! Discussing awesome new applications and get costumers and NI personal in touch. I am completely sure that you can come to the community or even calling the support line if you have questions about LabVIEW programming.

What I meant with "NI does not officially support it" is that we cannot ensure that what you are trying to do is going to work, since is hard to know if the R&D department is running or is going to be running tests.

I personally have connected and worked with hardware not officially supported before too by using Serial, GPIB or USB communication.

1.png 

For example this FPGA is used to do processing and to reduce noise. The Frame grabber also has internal buffers in order to able to store information that can be accessed and manipulated.

Something really important is that you have to load the camera file in order to get the correct configuration of the camera attributes before setting up the acquisition. For example the tab configuration. It depends on the camera too but some of them need triggering, exposure time configuration and bit-depth configuration.

I believe it could worth the try. If NI ever starts support CoaXpress I will keep you posted.

Randy @Rscd27@
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 21
(4,653 Views)

It's two years since the last post, I wanted to query whether there's a framegrabber for Coaxpress in development by NI.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 21
(2,694 Views)

Hi lesnah,

We're not able to publicly share road map information. However, I can say that we are exploring all the emerging camera buses and evaluating what aligns with our portfolio. If you have more questions or would like to discuss your application in more detail feel free to reach out to me via direct message.

Regards,

Kevin Kleine

Vision Product Manager

National Instruments

Message 14 of 21
(2,674 Views)

BitFlow has offered a CoaXPress solution since 2013.  Please contact us for further details.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 21
(2,231 Views)

CameraLink HS is Genicam compliant too.
Cameralink hs is more performant in a lot of point if you compare to coaxpress (especially with X PROTOCOL) . But it's true that their are more COAXPRESS product available.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 21
(2,052 Views)

Is it possible the by add a IP at PXIe-6592R and using the Xilinx GTP to implement CXP?

If that is the case, I think it is also possible to use such IP in 7935R.

There a some examples:

https://www.xilinx.com/products/intellectual-property/1-5t3ipv.html

https://www.s2i.org/index.php/products-mainmenu-33/fpga-cores-mainmenu-67/coaxpress-fpga-core-xilinx

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 21
(1,873 Views)

So, almost 8years later.

And NI still does not seem to support any CoaXPress?

Anyone else feeling NI is not onboard the Vision-train?

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 21
(640 Views)

David,

As mentioned,  we offer a solution for CXP and LabVIEW and now it's something that after ten years, is in hundreds of applications. Feel free to reach out to us for additional information.  Sales@bitflow.com 

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 21
(630 Views)

Thanks BitFlow_User for your input.

In my work, I focus on the applications and wish to avoid putting my own effort on the integration of 3rd party hardware.

This is why I have always used hardware supported by NI for my LabVIEW applications.

If the native support is missing, I might as well use some other programming library for my application.

I know you have support for Halcon and many other programming libraries, as well as LabVIEW.

BR

David

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 21
(624 Views)