Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GigE Vision cameras bring ports of an ethernet switch to crash

Dear community

we have observed a curious behavior with GigE Vision cameras connected to a NETGEAR PS108 switch. Three cameras, 2x Allied Vision Manta G-145B NIR and a Basler Scout are wired to the switch and also two 100MBit devices:

Port 1: cam 1
Port 2: cam 2
Port 3: cam3
Port 4: IP controlled power outlet (100MBit)
Port 5: NI Ethernet to Serial (100Mbit)
Port 8: ---------- to PC -------------> (1Gbit Intel network card)

This configuratoin was working for yaers but we had a fluctuation of voltage a few days ago.
Since then the all three camera ports are freezing if image acquisition is in progress, even if only one camera is active. Consequently, the cameras are no longer available in NI MAX. The not camera ports continue to work. After cold restart of the switch the camera ports works for a while and freeze again. We have tested the setup with a new identical switch, but the behavior was the same.

My guess is that it is related to GigE Vision protocol, because the problem relates to the camera ports only, but my knowledge of this standard is not deep enough. Has someone an idea what can be the cause of the crashes of the ports?

We looked for a quick problem solution and have connected all the cameras to the new switch and hung the switch to a remote controlled power socket in order to restart in error case. Now the setup is:

Switch 2
Port 1: cam 1
Port 2: cam 2
Port 3: cam 3
Port 8:   to switch 1

|
    |
    |

Switch 1
Port 1: Switch 2
Port 4: IP controlled power outlet (100MBit)
Port 5: NI Ethernet to Serial (100Mbit)
Port 8 ------------ to PC -----------> (1Gbit network card)

Now the problem does not occur anymore Smiley Indifferent

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,309 Views)

the cameras are no longer available in NI MAX

Does your switch have network activity LEDs?  When the cameras "freeze", are the LEDs on these ports still on?

When the "freeze" happens, do the cameras disappear from the list in MAX? 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,265 Views)

Yes, the switch has port activity LEDs. I mean with the "freeze": net activity LEDs are steady on. I wonder, why only the camera ports are involved. Other ports works further. The cameras disappears from NI MAX IMAQdx list, and appears again when the switch has been resetted. And, why the problem doesn't occur if cameras have a own switch?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,257 Views)

Most GigE Vision problems usually turn out to be issues with network configuration.  In your case, it looks like there is just something odd going on with your network.  I can't think of why moving the cameras to another switch would just fix things.  It would be really helpful for you to get a Wireshark trace on the host PC during a "freeze" situation.  It would probably show why the cameras are disappearing. 

Message 4 of 8
(4,240 Views)

I was not in the lab for two days and now I am learning Wireshark. Thanks for your tip!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,222 Views)
I have learned, it is not possible to see packages of  GVSP protocol in WireShark if NI Gige Vision Adapter driver is used. I have installed the original setup again, changed the driver to Intel Pro 1000 nativ and  activated jumbo packages. Now the cameras has been running for over 24 hours. I think the problem is solved, but it would be nice to understand that is going on 😉
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,206 Views)

Maybe their is some problem at your end. I have been using  50 MP 10 GigE Cameras by Emergent Vision and I have faced no such issue. 

Even though, this was my first vision camera everything worked out perfectly. Just follow the instructions properly and maybe it will work.

Hope for the best.

Regards,

Jannie.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,167 Views)

@janniekgunn

Thanks for your tip, but i don't see any special instructions except to set NIC MTU to 9000 for activating of jumbo frames. Do I overlook something?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,157 Views)