Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GigE Vision Camera not shown in NI IMAQdx devices

Hello,

I got a SICK Ranger E50 GigE Vision camera to capture profiles using LabVIEW. I am trying to configure the device but the camera doesn't show up in IMAQdx devices. In fact, there is no folder for IMAQdx devices in MAX. I can see the camera under Network devices but when I try to access it, I get an error that says "Not Implemented". I have tried updating the drivers to the latest versions but the error is still the same.

Camera error.PNG

I would really appreciate any help in this regard.

Thank you

Naren

CLA

LabVIEW Architect

ExxonMobil

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,907 Views)

- can you confirm that you can get images with the software from SICK? Because that will already exclude a number of possible errors.

- Are you trying to test this while another software has in any way access to the camera? GigE has this Access-Bit and most cameras deny two hosts..

- Is your IP Config OK? Same subnet as the network card? (- if not, set it inside the SICK software)
B

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,890 Views)

Thanks Mr. B for the message.

I do not have the vendor software to test it out. May be I should get it and test there as you suggested.

Yes, I believe I have the IP config correct. I could see the camera as a network device, just that it doesn't appear as IMAQdx. 

Do you think there are any other checks I am missing?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,874 Views)

The reason for the vendor software is this: If it doesn't work in the vendor software, it doesn't work in LabVIEW. You can exclude a lot of errors that way.

Alternative is trying Pleoras generic GigE software. Same reasons.

There is a little-known utility in IMAQdx called CameraValidator.exe. Using it on your camera (ftp://ftp.ni.com/support/imaq/camera_support/utilities/NI-IMAQdx%20Camera%20Test%20Utility/README.tx...) can confirm its GigE compliancy.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,865 Views)

Hi Naren,

The Camera Validator is a great suggestion.  When you say you updated the driver, did you update the driver for the NIC or the driver for the camera onto your computer?  Where did you get your camera file? If you haven't already gone through this document, I highly suggest it because the steps are very detailed.  http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/5846/en/

Kelli Kravetz
Product Marketing Manager
LabVIEW, LabVIEW NXG, LabWindows/CVI, Measurement Studio
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,836 Views)

Thank you all for the help. I just wanted to give a closure to this topic.

1. SICK Ranger GigE cameras are not 'NI GigE Vision' compatible. Confirmed it using the NI Camera Validator. So the camera won't show up in MAX or as IMAQ device.

2. The best way to talk to the cameras in LabVIEW is to use the toolkit provided by SICK.

3. The camera was not communicating even with their toolkit initially. I was breaking my head with network configuration and other things to troubleshoot. It's bit anti-climatic but turned out the camera we bought was a faulty one! The vendor sent out a new camera.

4. Configured the camera in vendor software ICON. The communication was established and the LabVIEW toolkit works fine too now.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,622 Views)

Thanks for closing the loop on this.  It will likely help someone else with the same question later on!

Kelli Kravetz
Product Marketing Manager
LabVIEW, LabVIEW NXG, LabWindows/CVI, Measurement Studio
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,608 Views)