From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firewire card with multiple controllers

Quick question....

I am looking for a firewire card for connecting 2 cameras.  Will I be able to use a standard PCI-E card or will I need to look for one with one controller per port....  Most share a single controller voer multiple ports.  I've had problems int eh past with multiple ports on one card, but this may have been a PCI card with limited system bandwidth.....

Ideas anyone?

The cameras will be most likely 1280x1024 RGB cameras with 60FPS.

Cheers for any help forthcoming.

Shane

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,739 Views)

Nobody, no?

The cameras are actually monochrome, 8-bit not RGB (24-bit) and only go up to 30Hz.....

I mean theoretically a FW400 card should handle a 1024pixel x 1280pixel x 8bit x 30Hz (314 Mbit/s without overhead) picture no problem but adding a second camera will more than saturate the bus.....

Anyone know of a decent PCI-E FW card which has two ports with a seperate controller for each?  Please?

Shane

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,736 Views)

I don't know any firewire cards that meet your specs, but it might work to get a firewire B card, then use cables that convert from firewire B to A.  A single firewire B controller should be able to handle both cameras easily, but I am not a hardware expert so I can't guarantee it.

Bruce

Bruce Ammons
Ammons Engineering
Message 3 of 11
(3,733 Views)

Thanks Bruce,

That's somethinge I can give a try.

Kudos.

Shane.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,729 Views)

The Bandwidth Calculator here might help.

Chris
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,726 Views)

I strongly advise you to deploy a professional IEEE 1394a board for your imaging application.

National Instruments offers suchs interfaces for PCI, PCIe and PXI standards.

http://sine.ni.com/np/app/main/p/bot/no/ap/vision/lang/en/pg/1/sn/n17:vision,n21:11600,n28:1394/

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,714 Views)

Hi Shane.

I once used this (when using two cards was no option due to a missing free slot in the PC).

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,701 Views)

Doe these "professional" IEEE cards have full 400MBit per port, or is the bandwidth shared over all ports....

If shared, I fail to see the huge advantage over a "nonprofessional" card.

Shane.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,699 Views)

The card has 2 buses. You have 2 cameras.  Thus, you will get maximum performance for each camera as long as you connect each camera to a port that uses one bus exclusively.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,693 Views)

Thanks Guenter,

The Q was meant more for the "Official" NI response, but that's cool info too.

Any idea where I get pricing for one of those cards? The website doesn't offer any pricing info.

Shane.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,681 Views)