From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Filter?) Lines in Displayed IMAQ Image

Solved!
Go to solution

I am using the Vision Acquitisition Software from Feb 2015 to capture images from a Basler Ace series camera. 

When I read an IMAQ image out of the buffer and display it to the front panel it looks like the grayscale image below. There are lots of horizontal and vertical lines in the displayed image. How can I get rid of of these lines? I have found examples online about making grayscale images that I can't use because I don't have any cast functions in my vision pallette. One example I am referencing: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/ED42C55C29B9B34C862570A60079952E

I assume they are probably color filters for the Bayer filter? See how the colorized image looks much better after going through the Bayer filter VI. How can I make a grayscale image that looks as smooth as the color image?

Grayscale IMAQ.png

Color IMAQ Image.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,485 Views)

Use a convolution filter.  Either a 2x2 with all ones, or 3x3 with 1 2 1, 2 4 2, 1 2 1 for the rows.  This will average the pixels and eliminate the checkerboard.

Bruce

Bruce Ammons
Ammons Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,480 Views)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,477 Views)

IMAQ Convolute under the Filters palette.

Bruce

Bruce Ammons
Ammons Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,467 Views)

Does that mean there is no IMAQ function to do this?

If I have to use the convolution filter, then will I need to turn the image into an array and process it through the convolution filter vi?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,466 Views)

I don't seem to have the IMAQ Convolute vi installed. The only filters palette I know about is the one in signal processing palette and I don't see it in there. Also, I don't have any IMAQ filters in the vision palette.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,461 Views)

Do you have the NI Vision tools installed?  It sounds like you do not.

Bruce

Bruce Ammons
Ammons Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,459 Views)

I have Vision Acquitisition Software from Feb 2015 installed. Does that not come with the VI you are refering to? Maybe I just didn't install it?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(4,457 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author GreenThumb

No, you have to purchase and install the NI Vision Development Module, which is separate from the Vision Acquisition Drivers.

Bruce

Bruce Ammons
Ammons Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,452 Views)

Thanks for helping me figure that out!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,448 Views)