Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experience with AdLlink GiE64+ - Quad GigE Card

Hello,

has someone already used a AdLink GiE64+ Quad-Port Network Card with NI Vision 2013 SP1? I want to use instead of the (more) expensive Intel PRO/1000 Quad-Port card. I know that I can not use the Performance driver. Last time I was working with VISION, I had problems with Jumbo-Frames and GigE by using "low-cost" NICs, so I want to ask.

Best regards,

Paul 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,231 Views)

The performance is going to be really bad if you are capturing from more than one camera.  The Intel Pro 1000 chipset does not offload to the CPU, so it is by far a much better bang for the buck.

Machine Vision, Robotics, Embedded Systems, Surveillance

www.movimed.com - Custom Imaging Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,217 Views)

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback! I already suspected something like that.

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,206 Views)

MoviJOHN a écrit :

The performance is going to be really bad if you are capturing from more than one camera.  The Intel Pro 1000 chipset does not offload to the CPU, so it is by far a much better bang for the buck.

I'm not 100% sure about that... I have lots of problems with NI GigE framegrabbers, the 8235 and 8231 give horrible crashes when used with triggered Sony cameras, even something very basic like a sony XCG-5005 with a PCIe 8231 externally triggered, in MAX it crashes after 5-10 seconds, I sent the whole hardware setup (computer + PCIe 8231 + camera + cables and external trigger source) to NI support so they could help find a fix, the answer was : get another computer or another framegrabber... I did follow their advice and got the GiE64+ - Quad GigE Card and it worked fine, I haven't seen big impact on the cpu usage.

Tomorrow I will run some more tests with 3 sony XCG-5005 externally triggered, I'll tell you if the performance is really worse than with NI's PCIe 8235.

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,437 Views)
There is a prosilica quad adapter. GigE and POE too. It works well, and is priced reasonably.
Machine Vision, Robotics, Embedded Systems, Surveillance

www.movimed.com - Custom Imaging Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,432 Views)

I ran tests for about 2 hours on a production line (3 GigE cameras on a the same computer, all externally triggered, 1 cam at 2 fps, 2 cams at 10fps), it worked fine (appart from the USB unplug bug).

Today the production line will be running the whole day with 2 systems, one with the 8235 and one with the ADLink... compared results tonight.

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,393 Views)