Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dot detection and tracking

I am developing an vision application that needs to detect two laser dots (green and red) and then track both of them. At first I focused on detecting just one particle ignoring its color. I attached a screenshot of my code - both front panel and block diagram.

I guess my first question : is my code a good approach for a dot detection for tracking ? By good I mean fast and robust. You will notice that the code is mainly a modification of an example  \LabVIEW 7.1\examples\Vision\2. Functions\Binary Analysis\Particle Analysis Example.vi 

Which solution would you recommend : "IMAQ Find Circles" or "IMAQ Particle Analysis"  ? Or perhaps there is better way to find a dot and then track it ?

What should I use (in terms of best practice) for finding a color of the dot ? "IMAQ Particle Filter" + some more filtering + "IMAQ Particle Analysis" ? Or would you rather use Color Matching ?

I would be interested to hear how others track dots in LabVIEW. 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,406 Views)

I would probably do something similar to what you are doing.  I would convert the color image to grayscale, threshold it, then locate the two largest particles using particle analysis.  You could skip a few of the processing steps and still get the exact same results.  Particle analysis is going to be a lot faster than find circle.

Once you have the two large particles, you could go back to the color image and analyze the color in the two spots that you found.

Bruce

Bruce Ammons
Ammons Engineering
Message 2 of 3
(4,374 Views)

sir,

can you please send me the vi to my email thendral.r.ss@gmail.com

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,787 Views)