Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between use of PCI/PXI of different versions

Hello,

I do like to know as I am quite interested on the various products of ni in machine vision applications, about the differences in different versions of PCI/PXI used as a better version of Printed circuit boards for acquiring images using cameras. Although there are provision of clock pins etc. to apply clock signals to the device itself, it would be beneficial if I can come across the issues to get a clear picture of the question which I have raised. Do I require a separate software to initate the applied clock signals in the device itself using PCI/PXI acquisition boards.

best regards
papri
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,609 Views)

papri,

I am having a difficult time understanding what you wrote.

I will do my best to answer what I think you are asking.

A great place to look to see the difference between the different IMAQ Image Acquisition Boards can be found through the link below...
NI Vision Hardware

I think you asked about the difference between PXI and PCI.  PCI is a slot found in almost all Personal Computers while PXI is a slot found in a PXI Chassis (PXI is an industrial form of PCI).  If you are using a PXI chassis, buy a PXI frame grabber.  If you are using a Personal Computer buy a PCI frame grabber.  The PCI and PXI versions of a frame grabber are almost identical and you will not see a difference in performance or features (basically, the only thing different about the boards is the connector to the PCI/PXI slot and the shape).

You also asked if you would need extra software...  All of the software needed to manipulate the frame grabber board comes with the frame grabber board, the software is called "Vision Acquisition Software".  You also have the option of purchasing NI-Vision and/or Vision Builder for Automated Inspection.  These two software packages allow you to process the image that "Vision Acquisition Software" and the frame grabber allowed you to acquire.

I hope I answered your question.

Lorne Hengst
Application Engineer
National Instruments

Message 2 of 3
(4,589 Views)

does the pci card and that of pxi look alike?

again is the software same? 

we are using edibon products and NI software came with it. the pci card is in one of the pc while pxi is in the rest three, the pxi ones are not working, it comes on intermitently and goes off. recently i found out that it is pci one works with the rest three. what do i need to do hence these questions above.

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,647 Views)