Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default Camera Settings for new cameras

Greetings Fellow Forum-ites,

I work for a company that builds cameras and we use VAS to pull the camera video into our own custom LabVIEW apps to check image quality.  One of th stuggles we have is maintaining the correct settings from camera to camera.  My question is how does VAS determine the default camera settings when I plug a new camera in?  It may help if I show an example of what we do today and where I'd like to go.

This is what happens today:

-Technichan plugs new firewire camera into test station. 

-MAX enumerates the camera as IMAQdX camera. 

-Technican goes into max, sets up pixel format, screen size, etc.  Clicks the "Save" button.

-Technican opens up custom tool, acquires video and tests it.

What I would like to happen:

-Technican plugs new firewire camera into test station

-MAX enumerates camera, applies default settings that have been predetermined.

-Technican opens up custom tool, acquires video and tests it.

Also, in the custom tool we often change camera parameters like gain/brightness/exposure, etc to get the best image.  Is there a way to save these settings programmatically through MAX so that next time the camera is plugged into that station it will have the last settings?

If anyone could point me to documenation about how the VAS/MAX settings interact, that would be helpful as well.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,068 Views)

Maybe you can do everything inside your application :

- Use a "Camera Attached" event (Plug & Play event source) to detect when the camera is plugged. Low Level Grab Async.vi example illustrates how to use IMAQdx events.

- Use IMAQdx Enumerate Cameras.vi to identify the camera

- Use IMAQdx Read Attributes.vi to apply a default configuration.

Hope this helps,

Sami Fathallah
ALLIANCE VISION
HW and SW Components for Scientific Imaging and Machine Vision
http://www.alliancevision.com
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,027 Views)

Sami, thanks for the reply.

We are doing this today for some of the parameters.  There still are some that we'd like to NOT be defaulted to.  For example, the gain might be changed and we'd like to keep that if the camera is power cycled so the user doesn't have to reset the it.  We've stored this in configuration files with varying levels of success, but I was hoping there was an all encompassing solution via MAX.

I will take a look at the IMAQdX events though, thanks for the tip.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,984 Views)

as i know max save your setting inside a file that you can open it with notepad
so why you do not open some of them with notepad and analyse them so then write a program with file i/o that create such files for your cameras ?!
did you ever test it?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,973 Views)

Yes, I've looked at them with a notepad, but without knowing what each value does, it's hard to formate a programmatic way of setting them up.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,942 Views)

could you send me one of file that is relate to your camera (the file that max made based on your setting 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,906 Views)