Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera calibration - intrinsic parameters

I need to be able to measure the area of a 3D surface. 

Currently I am using a scalingfactor, where the variable, dn is the output from the 3D camera (where dn represents any value in a 2D array, of 160 by 120 - matching the resolution of the ToF camera). 

Then by multiplying the average scalingfactor to the number of pixels detected, it is possible to measure the area fairley accurate. 
However, I wish to be able to mark the ROI on a 2D image and map to the 2D array, but there seems to be an offset, since the object (in this case a rectangular plate) is not in the same spot. 
When manually selecting the values in the .xls document the area is measured fairley (~7% error), but the error is a lot bigger when selecting the plate in the RGB image (probably due to the offset). 

So I was wondering if a calibration would help? Using intrinsic parameters to account for the distortion. Could that also help me compensating for the offset?

I have attached some vi's. Both should be downloaded - then run the "load info" vi. Select (filepath) for the .txt file, and a filepath for the .jpeg file, run vi and press okay. Now Select area to measure, and press okay again. 
The .xls file can be opened and used for manual inspection. 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,362 Views)

Here some more attachments (only 3 files per post?)

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,361 Views)