Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bit wise Image Compare

What would be the fastest way to see if an image has changed?  I am buffering reference images (IMAQ Read Image & Vision Info) and need to know when the reference image changes.  The routine doesn't need to "match" the image but only needs to be able to detect change.  Looking for a solution that would execute fast.  I could do a color image to array and match the arrays but feel this is even slower than just doing a pattern match.  Any suggestions are welcome.

Matt

Matthew Fitzsimons

Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW 6.1 ... 2013, LVOOP, GOOP, TestStand, DAQ, and Vison
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,687 Views)

Could you save the the original file to a Temp location and then compare the file size on a byte level?  Seems that would run pretty fast, but I guess that is all relative.  But if the change is small enough the "byte" level comparison may not be enough either. 

What are you looking for speed levels? 

or would this be a live image analysis? 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,685 Views)

Calculate the diff image and do a histogram on that diff image.

What's your image type?

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,678 Views)

That's what I have in mind :

Example_VI_BD.png

It is pretty fast. Hope it helps.

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

Message 4 of 6
(4,674 Views)

I will have to check it out but that is the type of unique solution I am looking for.  Just thinking there have to be a better way than doing a pattern match to determine is the image has changed.  I can't use any size related because the sized will be always the same for multiple reference images.  I am using direct digital capture.

Matt Fitzsimons
NI Alliance Member
LabVIEW Champion
NI Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW, LV-RT, Vision, DAQ, Motion, and FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,663 Views)

Hi,

Could you please provide a labview file for this image. I am not able to find Labview example of 'compare image' ... 

Thanks 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,541 Views)