From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After upgrade to NI Vision Acquisition Feb 2014, Windows does not boot

Recently I upgraded NI software and drivers to their latest versions, and after restart Windows crashes on startup, not even reaching the Windows login screen. Restoring to an earlier restore point fixed the problem. After installing upgrades one by one, I narrowed down the problem to NI Vision Acquisition (Feb 2014). An earlier version of Vision Acquisition installed without any problems. This problem with Vision Acquisition upgrade is repeatable. Is there anything new about the latest version that could interfere with Windows booting?

I could not find a memory dump file or a record in the system log; I suspect that the crash occurs before these services are even started.

Additional information: the computer is a 6-month old HP Envy laptop with Windows 8 64-bit, plenty of RAM and drive space. Support for virtual machines is enabled in its BIOS (or whatever they use instead of it in modern computers).  VirtualBox is installed, although I was not using it. Multiple versions of LabVIEW and add-ons are installed (2011, 2013).

My biggest problem is that now I cannot compile my LabVIEW programs that use NI IMAQdx.

Any advice?  --Thanks!!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,689 Views)

Hello,

I do not know of anything different with VAS 2014. Were you able to boot the computer into safe mode? If you can get a hold of a dump file by booting into safe mode, I can send it to R&D. Without a dump file, there is not much they can do. I have notified them, though, and will post if I hear anything.

-Erik S

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,661 Views)

We are running into the same problem with this update.  I will look for a dump file as well.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,633 Views)

UPDATE: In the February 2014 udpate, there are multiple drivers that are installed to suppot I/O cards.  I rebuilt one of our computers, and tried installing the update again.  Before kicking the install off, I noticed it installed the driver support for all the different I/O cards.  I removed all of them except the ones we needed (PCI-8254R in this case).  After the install completed, I rebooted without an issue.

We are using Embedded computers from Adlink (MXC-6000 series) with Windows Embedded Standard 7.  It looks like windows does not like one of the drivers.

I am going to test further to see which driver is causing the issue for us.  

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,628 Views)

In my case, I was not installing the whole "Drivers" DVD - just the Vision Acquisition 2014 which I downloaded from the NI site (the download includes MAX, but it should not include NIDAQmx).

I cannot find any crash dump files. I suspect that the crash occurs at the very early stage of Windows boot. It happens about 1-2 seconds after the spinning circle first appears on the screen.

Telecentric, when you mentioned "different I/O cards", you were referring to NIDAQmx support, not to Vision Acquisition (NI-IMAQdx), right?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,624 Views)

Capera:

Sorry for the lack of details.  I have been working on this for the past few weeks, and I ran by your thread.

I was also installing the same update for Vision Acquisition (2014.02).

(http://www.ni.com/download/ni-vision-acquisition-software-2014.02/4584/en/)

I had to remove the NI-IMAXdx support install for the devices that I did not need.  Please see the picture attached.  

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,611 Views)

Telecentric:

Following your suggestion, I did custom install of Vision Acquisition: I included NI-IMAQdx and NI-IMAQ, but I excluded IMAQ I/O 2.9. The system restared without any problems, everything seems to work fine so far. Thanks a lot for your advice!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,583 Views)

Hi All,

Thanks for providing feedback regarding the issue. The issue has been reproduced and Corrective Action Request 476257 has been filed. For the time being, removing IMAQ I/O hardware support, as mentioned above is the recommended workaround.

Regards,

Joseph

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,312 Views)