Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advanced Edge Parameters

Hi all,

I'm looking at an image captured from a FrameGrabber, and looking for an edge.

There are multiple edges, and I need to be able to differentiate them.

I think the Advanced Edge Detection tool can help, but I'm confused.

I'm using Vision Assistant 2013

Also LabVIEW 2013, IMAQ Edge Tool 3 VI.

I have the IMAQ Vision Concepts Manual, and referring to chapter 11, Edge Detection, Page 11-8, Advanced Edge Detection.

However, the parameters described in the manual, and the parameters identified in the Vision Assistant (and the IMAQ Edge Tool 3), are different.

Can anyone describe the Vision Assistant paramter 'Kernal Size'?

Is this the same as 'Steepness' in the manual?

Is the Vision Assistant parameter of 'Width' the same as the manual parameter of 'width'?

Is the Vision Assistant parameter of 'Strength' the same as the manual parameter of 'Contrast'?

Or do the Vision Assistant parameters mean something different than I've guessed?

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,774 Views)

This link will explain Kernel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_(image_processing)

Strength refers to how quickly the edge transitions between black and white.  In a binary image, this has to be 1.  I think it can be thought of as the slope.

Width is probably the same.

If you want to see the labview equivalent of the Vision Assistant script, and have labview, you can export the script as Labview code from the menu (in case you didn;t know already).  It's not the most efficient code, but it give you a start.

Machine Vision, Robotics, Embedded Systems, Surveillance

www.movimed.com - Custom Imaging Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,753 Views)

Hi John,

Thank you for the reply.

As far as I can tell, the Vision Assistant and the LabVIEW VI use the same terminology.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing since they use the same terminology in the same context, it means the same thing in both places.

However, I'm reading up on the image processing in the 'NI Vision Concepts' manual, and they have a totally different set of parameters.

I understand what the manual is saying, and I'd like to use that information, but the Vision Assistant (and LabVIEW) use different terms.

I'll check out the wikipedia link you provided, and assume that the NI use of the term is the same as the Wikipedia author's use of the term (at least to start).

Thanks,

Jeff

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,750 Views)

Hi John,

Thank you for the lead.

Unfortunately, I read about the Kernal in wikipedia and it doesn't seem to correlate to the NI use of 'Kernal Size'.

The wikipedia article talks about the use of the kernal in image processing, but there are a lot of options and effects available.  The NI use of the term is just 'kernal size' with no other descriptors, options.

Thanks,

Jeff

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,745 Views)