From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acquisition & saving with smart camera

Solved!
Go to solution

I couldn't find an example about saving sequence images to hard disk with Ximea smart cameras. 

I have a RL50C smart camera. I want to acquire and save images to hdd. Since I don't have LabVIEW installed in this camera, I need to program it in a developing computer and then build aplication for runtime. I created a VI doing that with the webcam of my laptop.

I wonder how can I edit this VI to work with my smart camera.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,433 Views)

Hi there,

Correct me if I’m wrong, you are trying to log the file into the smart camera’s hard disk? If that is the case then a simple VI of acquiring and saving to disk (make sure the file format is supported) should work on the smart camera, like the ones below:

1. Community: IMAQdx Grab and Save Individual Files
2. Community: Snap and Save Frame From IMAQdx Grab
3. Community: IMAQdx: Save IMAQdx Sequence to AVI File

Add the smart camera on your project, and here is the trick…if the camera has WES7, is just like another laptop with an integrated camera. If the camera has a real time OS then threat the device as a generic RT target.

I hope this helps

Alejandro C. | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,409 Views)

Hi Alejandro,

Could you explain in more detailed, what do you mean by adding the smart camera to the project? The smart camera has Windows XP on it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(5,381 Views)

Check the following information for details:

1. Distributing Applications Built Using Vision Development Module
2. Licensing National Instruments Vision Software
3. Remotely Debugging Executables in LabVIEW

In summary, the first link will walk you through the process for running the code at the remote machine (in this case the smart camera, you only need to check if the software version you are using supports WinXP), the second one will tell you a couple details about licensing and the 3rd one is for remote debugging executables, which in my opinion is always a handy resource.

Regards,

Message 4 of 9
(5,376 Views)

Alejandro,

Sorry for my late response. Firstly, I want to thank you about stuff that you sent. I read all of those and were really helpfull.

But I couldn't solve my problem. I choose the first vi that you suggest (grab and save to jpg.vi) and it is working perfect on my laptop with an integrated webcam.

When I'm trying it on the Currera smart camera, it doesn't show any choice in the camera name field. And then the application is stopping with an error since I can't choose a camera. I'm not sure if IMAQdx functions are the right choice for my camera. Is there any other way I can try? Or what might be the problem?

I'm open to any suggestions.

Omer.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(5,276 Views)

Sounds like you might be missing the installation of the driver. Here…try to install it at the camera (Vision Acquisition Software 2014 f1). I also ran into this page from the camera’s manufacturer that talks about a wrapper (xiLib) that can help you interface with the camera using LabVIEW. If this last option is the way to go I would advise to contact them for more information.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(5,239 Views)

Yesterday, I solved the problem with the manufacturer's API for LabVIEW. It is working now. I can grab & save images although it was a little bit hard to understand that API. I would prefer to do it with IMAQdx functions.

On the other hand with IMAQdx functions, I'm building installer from the VI with Labview RTE 2013, Vision RTE 2013, IMAQdx 4.3.5 as additional installers. Do I need to install the VAS again?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(5,235 Views)

You may need a deployment license (unless you already have it) and you can include the vision software on the build specifications for the installer. More details at the following links:

- Licensing National Instruments Vision Software
- Distributing Applications Built Using Vision Development Module

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(5,221 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author sevincom

Alejandro,

Thanks for your helps.

I build my application with manufacturer's libraries. And I learnt that this smart camera does not have support for IMAQdx functions.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(5,191 Views)