Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D laser scanner save data output

Dear all

I am a newbie in 3D laser Scanner. We have built a 3D laser Scanner system like this link :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmfwPXYO5vM

At the momnet, we have obtained 3D image of object, and we also have three array of information of this 3D object. However, I do not know how to save these data. We wanna have *.COP file ( cloud of point) to use in 3D Mechine Vision Library ( a product of Imaginglab: http://www.imaginglab.it/eng/3D-MVL_DataSheet.php )

Could you have any suggestions for me?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,171 Views)

Duplicate post. Please keep it all in one place.

Message 2 of 9
(5,161 Views)

So sorry, I am trying to delete one

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(5,157 Views)

If your data is in a two dimensional array, or if it is encoded as an image (PNG,JPG,BMP), you can easily convert it into an intermediate format .XYZ

This format can then be converted into a .COP in software like MeshLab

Say you have a 10x10 array of U16 Values (0 to 65525)

The X and Y array indexes represent units of measure in your scan X,Y position, and the content represents the height information.

All you need are a nested loop, and some multipliers to convert X,Y,Z to floats, or doubles.

So lets say that the scan area size was actually 100mm x 100mm x 100mm (asuming the tallest Z value was 100mm)

The start of the file result would look like this

0.0 0.0 0.0

0.0 10.0 0.0

0.0 20.0 0.0

0.0 30.0 0.0

0.0 40.0 0.0

0.0 50.0 0.0

0.0 60.0 0.0

0.0 70.0 0.0

0.0 80.0 0.0

0.0 90.0 0.0

Note that .XYZ files are space delimited with a line feed (\n) at the end of each line.

Machine Vision, Robotics, Embedded Systems, Surveillance

www.movimed.com - Custom Imaging Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(5,110 Views)

Dear Mr. Movi John

Thank for your comment

However, I am just a beginer. I can partly understand these, but not fully. I obtained 3 array of data from 3D laser Scanner system.

Could you  explain more detail the progress?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(5,095 Views)

Hello,

it seems to me you are using cylindrical coordinates? Is that right?

You can simply calculate the Cartesian coordinates.

Best regards,

K

https://decibel.ni.com/content/blogs/kl3m3n

"Kudos: Users may give one another Kudos on the forums for posts that they found particularly helpful or insightful."
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(5,086 Views)

Dear Mr Klemen,

I am using cylindrical coordinates as you said. After changing to the Cartesian coordinates.

What should I do next? Because I need change data to import into a function in 3D- Machine Vision Library.

Thanks alot!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(5,013 Views)

Hi,

i have some questions regarding one of the answers. 

If your data is in a two dimensional array, or if it is encoded as an image (PNG,JPG,BMP), you can easily convert it into an intermediate format .XYZ

How can i convert it into .XYZ format. Can this be done directly in labview? I have 3 cordinates and i am saving them in csv at the moment in three columns. Do i need to save the data in some specific format?

This format can then be converted into a .COP in software like MeshLab

That seems to me easy done. 

Say you have a 10x10 array of U16 Values (0 to 65525)

The X and Y array indexes represent units of measure in your scan X,Y position, and the content represents the height information.

All you need are a nested loop, and some multipliers to convert X,Y,Z to floats, or doubles.

So lets say that the scan area size was actually 100mm x 100mm x 100mm (asuming the tallest Z value was 100mm)

The start of the file result would look like this

0.0 0.0 0.0

0.0 10.0 0.0

0.0 20.0 0.0

0.0 30.0 0.0

0.0 40.0 0.0

0.0 50.0 0.0

0.0 60.0 0.0

0.0 70.0 0.0

0.0 80.0 0.0

0.0 90.0 0.0

I am unable to understand this above table.

Note that .XYZ files are space delimited with a line feed (\n) at the end of each line.

Hope to hear from your side soon. Have a nice day.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,340 Views)

Hi acuteboy,

This form has not been active for a few years, so it would be best to start a brand new post on the page below. 

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Machine-Vision/bd-p/200

There will be more members of our R&D department and community monitoring this new post. 

If you would like, you can also try messaging the other members that are on this forum post. Let me know if you have any questions!

Regards,

Brian P.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,328 Views)