From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1of 6 1394 cameras not recognized in device manager

1 of 6 cameras is no longer shown in Device Manager. That is it does not show up at all. The system has worked for >1yr and only just started having problems. Camera in question works on my laptop.

I have tried to connect directly; the only camera; different cables; different ports; with & without powered hubs...

Problem most likely instigated as a result of bad cables. Too tight a radius with motion. New cables and extra protection now.

System in question is in the field. I do not remember versions LabView 8.x; 1394 driver 2.x? 2007 releases.

Research so far is upgrade to SP3 from SP2. This could cause many other issues and would prefer to make it a last resort. I have heard too many negative things.

Would deleting the .icd file for camera in question have any affect? [C:\Program Files\National Instruments\NI-IMAQ for IEEE-1394\Data] This is probably just for MAX issues. Since this is lower level than MAX, I am not sure if it will have any affect. Looking at it closer, probably the .iid file rather than the .icd file.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,560 Views)

Hey InnoDAQ,

How are the cameras connected to the motherboard of the PC? Are you using several PCI FireWire cards? What else may have changed besides the SP3 upgrade in Windows XP?

Have a look at this KnowledgeBase about the maximum number of IEEE 1394 cameras one can acquire from simultaneously.

David G
Sales Engineer - SE Michigan & N Ohio
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,536 Views)

I have not yet upgraded to SP3. That is a suggestion that I have found, but I really do not want to do that.

I listed all the things that I have tried - "I have tried to connect directly; the only camera; different cables; different ports; with & without powered hubs..."

My guess is that there is a configuration file that is corrupt. If so, which one. How to fix? The MAX confining files that I am aware of are the ".icd" and ".iid" files. Would those fix it?

In the mean time, I have purchased a new camera (needed one for another project anyway) and will try it when it comes in on Thursday. I would prefer to not have to leave the new camera on the system.

By the way, the cameras are an AVT Guppy 036c.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,530 Views)
by the way, with respect to the number of cameras and capture speed, this is a single frame capture from up to 2 cameras at a time. Speed is not the issue and has not been for more than a year. System has been working for more than a year.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,529 Views)

Hey InnoDAQ,

With the cameras disconnected from your PC, you can delete the .icd and .iid files since NI-IMAQdx generates these when the cameras are initially connected. The files will be automatically generated when you connect each individual camera. Delete the .iid and .icd files from the “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\National Instruments\NI-IMAQdx\Data” folder and the “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\National Instruments\NI-IMAQ for IEEE-1394\Data” folder. Post back and let us know if this resolves your issues. I hope this helps 🙂

David G
Sales Engineer - SE Michigan & N Ohio
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,510 Views)

As suspected, the problem was below NI drivers. Deleting the .iid & .icd file did not correct the problem.

The system did accept a new camera when installed but still could not see the camera in question. Again, the camera in question did not even show up in the Device Manager.

A review of the registry revealed the camera in question had a key missing in one of the many instances; the key was "Driver" under the ENUM section. I am not including the details because the Driver entry for each of the cameras included a unique ID. Therefore, I ended up searching for the Serial Number in the registry (research indicated this was the best search item) and deleted all references of it. Of course, a restore point was created before hand. Note: iid & icd files are still deleted.

After a reboot, the camera in question was plugged in and the system recognized it as cam7. From there, I looked in MAX and Walla! I still needed the camera to be identified as cam1 for my program. Therefore, I renamed the new iid & icd files to cam1. Also, modified the .iid file as needed. The icd file is for saving the camera specific user settings. There was nothing in that file identifying the camera, so I copied the details from my deleted cam1 file to the newly created and renamed file. 

Rebooted again and everything is working well. The issue has been resolved.

Thank you for your assistance.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,484 Views)

Hey everyone, 

I have also experience the smilar issue, but with only one camera. Actually the camera was finctioning great for a while but suddenly without any changes in the setting the link to IMAQdx disapear in the device manager and I have no acess to it.

I'm using a Scout Camera and IEEE 1934 (fire Wire). 

Please help

Kia

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,119 Views)

What have you tried so far?  Did you follow similar steps from the original poster that fixed their issue?  What drivers are you using?  What OS?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,104 Views)