Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12 qty webcams with 5 meter repeaters for each webcam issue

Hi,

I am creating a CCTV kind of application uwing webcameras (due to compact size) and facing trouble with the hardware architecture.

I have 12 qty of USB web-cameras with 5 meter repeater for each web-camera connected to a desktop running Windows 7. I have a custom application that shows the images of all cameras on the screen....just like CCTV setup. But, I am unable to keep all 12 cameras running for long times. Some cameras keep getting disconnected once a while. I know that I am pushing the limits of USB with repeaters and 12 qty.

Any thoughts will be really appreciated.

Ashish Uttarwar
Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,463 Views)

USB Repeters are not generally know for their reliability, but since we're talking five meters, it cannot be avoided.

You may try adding in a single USB PCI Card, and move one or two of the cameras there.  See if they become more stable.

In order to really troubleshoot such an unusual configuration, you would need to monitor voltages, and look at noise around the installation.  Probably not very practical.  Basler ACE and others like them are very small cameras that excel at these kind of applications.  USB is really not the way to go.

Machine Vision, Robotics, Embedded Systems, Surveillance

www.movimed.com - Custom Imaging Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,440 Views)

So, we ended up using powered usb hub to connect the cameras to PC. It seems to be fairly stable right now. It indeed was a power management issue.

I have used D-Link 7 USB powered hub.

Ashish Uttarwar
Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,302 Views)