MATRIXx

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

simexe crashes in windows

Running Matrixx 7 1 5
Windows XP (User does not have admin rights)
Pentium 4, 3 GHz processor - Onboard Video - 512 megs of Ram - Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family (Video)
Windows Error log shows;
Faulting application simexe.exe, version 1.0.0.1, faulting module simexe.exe, version 1.0.0.1, fault address 0x0006276c.

A number of users are reporting two types of crashes while running simulations. The first error the program crashes producing the error above. The second crash only crashes the interactive animation, while the simulation continues to run producing no errors.

Any suggestions? Additional information required?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 22
(12,969 Views)
Hi Doug,

In the case of any crash we need to know what conditions led to the crash. What type of things are you doing in your simulation to get to this point? Is there a pattern that leads to the crashes? Otherwise, we can't know what to look into to find a cause.

Richard

Richard

Field Sales Engineer, New Jersey
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 22
(12,944 Views)
Hi again Doug,

Are you seeing Simexe.exe taking continuously more RAM in the Windows Task Manager?
Thanks for checking this out.

Richard

Richard

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 22
(12,937 Views)
I'm kind of acting as a go-between here. I support the OS and standard configuration, Matrixx is not something we support but I'm trying to assist the user in determining the cause of the problem. There are at least a couple of people experiencing this problem while running models. I'll get more info from them about the crashes, and post back. Thanks for your help.

Doug
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 22
(12,930 Views)

From the end user;

I ran the program and monitored the simexe.exe via the Task Manager. The mem usage was initially 36,568 K with CPU = 50 and maxed at 41,440 K with CPU = 50. This changed occurred after running for approximately 5 minutes. The program continued for another 5 minute without a change in memory usage. It then stopped running and I got the error message we saw the other day.

The error refered to is the "faulting application simexe.exe, version...." mentioned in the beginning of the thread.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 22
(12,928 Views)
Hi Doug,

It looks like simexe.exe is not hogging memory, so something else must be going on. I need to do some research with developers to see what we can do. Does this happen regardless of what model the users are running, or are the people experiencing problems all working on the same model?

Thanks,
Richard

Richard

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 22
(12,919 Views)

Other people are running separate models in which the program just stops running. The action that seems to trigger the program crashing is the use of the interactive dialog box. It is very random. It has been occurring since 1999 over different versions of MatrixX.

According the user, this has been happening since 99, so they must have been dealing with this problem in other versions of windows, since we just refreshed them to XP. Is it possible there is some video instuctions causing the problem? I've seen some very strange behaviour with other engineering applications when interacting with video drivers. I don't see where this has any crazy video requirements though...

Thanks
Doug
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 22
(12,913 Views)
Hi Doug,

Is it a specific interactive dialog box (i.e. getChoice, or one from the menu bar), or any one they have programmed into their application? I need details about the process of observing the crash in order to try and reproduce it here and possibly file a report to have it corrected (in the case that it is a bug). Is there an error message that they see upon the crash occuring?

Thanks,
Richard

Richard

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 22
(12,896 Views)
That is, are they all seeing the same:

Faulting application simexe.exe, version 1.0.0.1, faulting module simexe.exe, version 1.0.0.1, fault address 0x0006276c.

And what happens when the interactive animation crashes?

Richard
Richard

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 22
(12,893 Views)
I'll ask about specifics. I'll see if I can get the user to post here, rather than acting as a go between.  I appreciate your help. I did see the interactive animation crash, and the error message was what was posted at the begining of this thread. I'll see what specifically they are doing at the time of the crash.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 22
(12,876 Views)