MATRIXx

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

add diagram folders hangs matrixx 8.0.1

I'm trying to put some hierarchical structure to the diagrams folder in the project view of a MATRIXx 8.0.1 project.

I've been able to do this repeatedly.  To cause the problem, I add one layer of two new diagram folders:

dir1
dir2

Then I add another sub-folder to one of the brand new folders:

dir1
dir2
    subdir1

When I try to save the project, MATRIXx hangs.  The problem occurs whether or not I add SuperBlock diagrams.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(10,385 Views)

Hi Matt,

Well, I was not able to reproduce the crash. Likely, I'm missing an important step that you are doing that I am not. So, here's the exact steps I did to try to reproduce your problem:

1. Create an empty project
  2. Configure project with all default settings (except I changed the project directory)
  3. Added new folder of Diagrams folder and renamed to 'dir1'
  4. Added a new  folder of Diagrams folder and renamed to 'dir2'
  5. Added a new folder to 'dir1' and renamed to 'subdir1'
  6. Configured folder 'dir1' with 'save all contained..' option and accepted the path that was listed without modification
  7. Repeated step 6 with 'dir2' and 'subdir1'
  8. Right-clicked on the project, selected 'save project'

This sequence worked, with some interesting effects, I have to add...

• Since I did not create any content, not all of the diagram savefiles  actually saved. This is okay. The most important part is the project file itself which stores the structure of the project
  • I then removed the project and opened it. I got errors reporting that it could not load the savefiles that were not saved (i.e. were empty). Well, error makes sense, but is odd, maybe I should handle the degenerate 'empty savefile' case better.

I then expanded my test scenario. I repeated the above steps, with one modification:

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(10,380 Views)

Hi Matt,

Well, I was not able to reproduce the crash. Likely, I'm missing an important step that you are doing that I am not. So, here's the exact steps I did to try to reproduce your problem:

1. Create an empty project
  2. Configure project with all default settings (except I changed the project directory)
  3. Added new folder of Diagrams folder and renamed to 'dir1'
  4. Added a new  folder of Diagrams folder and renamed to 'dir2'
  5. Added a new folder to 'dir1' and renamed to 'subdir1'
  6. Configured folder 'dir1' with 'save all contained..' option and accepted the path that was listed without modification
  7. Repeated step 6 with 'dir2' and 'subdir1'
  8. Right-clicked on the project, selected 'save project'

This sequence worked, with some interesting effects, I have to add...

• Since I did not create any content, not all of the diagram savefiles  actually saved. This is okay. The most important part is the project file itself which stores the structure of the project
  • I then removed the project and opened it. I got errors reporting that it could not load the savefiles that were not saved (i.e. were empty). Well, error makes sense, but is odd, maybe I should handle the degenerate 'empty savefile' case better.

I then expanded my test scenario. I repeated the above steps, with one modification: On

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(10,379 Views)

As I was saying...

I repeated my test with one modification: On step 6, I changed the path of the savefile, I added a subdirectory into the path. For example, originally the path was constructed as: c:\test\dirproject\dir1.sbd-mtx  and I changed in to be: c:\test\dirproject\dir1\dir1.sbd-mtx.

Now the result was unexpected...If I now save the project, I get errors reported that the savefiles could not be saved. The reason is that the subdirectory that I added to the path doesn't exist on disk and the project system doesn't create it. That, I think is a bug and I will file it.

So, even with the tests, I could not get a hang or crash.

Matt, can you tell me exactly the steps you did? Did you additionally configure the project to save xmath data?

bob

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(10,376 Views)
Bob wrote: Did you additionally configure the project to save xmath data?

No, the project was configured with everything as default except for saving the diagrams as individual files.

As far as differences in the steps, I did not configure the diagram folders before I tried to save the project.  I repeated the original sequence of steps again, being sure not to configure the folders and I got the hang up.  If I do the folder configuration steps the way you did, things are fine.

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(10,370 Views)
Matt,

OK, I see the problem now. It's the nested 'subdir1' folder that causes the hang, oops. I'll work on a fix for it this week.

bob
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(10,362 Views)