MATRIXx

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal Trace Tool Prototype Discussion

Hi folks!

Recently there was a discussion about signal trace and I wrote a mathscript to trace a signal. But, it is limited and stops tracing when a computational block is reached. I believe there is a need for a more complete tool, so I prototyped a signal trace tool that completely traces a signal within all superblocks in the project.

Due to resource limitation, I can not continue this on my own as it will be substantial effort to complete and productize. So, it was suggested that I try to determine how useful a signal trace tool would be to our customers and vet the prototype so I can make a proposal for a development project.

Attached are sample graphs generated by the prototype. One graph is grouped by superblock the other has no grouping. The graphs are of the same trace of a signal within the Cruise Control demo model.

Let's discuss the concept of a signal trace, the current prototype's output and potential features of a signal trace tool in this message board thread. Note, I have already thought about many details, but I'll hold off on those for now because I think it will bias the discussion.

About the graphs..These are directed cyclic graphs representing the trace of a signal though superblocks. The prototype simplifies the logic required to determine exactly how an input effects a block's output pin(s). I believe the tracing into and out of references and external I/O is complete. Here's the legend for the graphs:
  • Rectangles are individual blocks. The name and block-id labels the rectangle. A representation of the block's input and output pins is also part of the overall rectangle for a block. Pins unused in the traced are group together as appropriate to minimize the size of the rectangle.
  • A circle represents an external input pin of a superblock
  • A double-circle represents an external output pin of a superblock
  • The filled rectangle represents the starting block
  • A trace can only connect from a block output to another block's input or external I/O. External Inputs can only trace to other external inputs or to a block input. External outputs can trace to anything except directly to a block's output.

Take a look at the graphs and let me know what you think.

Bob Pizzi
MATRIXx R&D

p.s. I just want to make clear that we are not committing to implementing a signal trace tool. The purpose of this discussion is to determine if such a tool is useful to you and what features are required. Only then if we determine we can allocate the development time, the signal trace tool would be productized into a future version of MATRIXx

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 1
(7,477 Views)