Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stunnel and mailer object

Solved!
Go to solution

Okay guys, I have beat this horse to death. Frustration has taken over.

Three things:

Stunnel

mailer object

gmail

How do I get this to work?

I have tried NUMOROUS combinations of code and nothing works. The "Test my SMTP Settings" button really isnt any help. If it were, my alarms would be working just fine. Almost any combination of "smtp.gmail.com" or using stunnel "127.0.0.1" will test fine but the mailer comes back with errors.

Various error messages when the test button has no errors:

1 - Email authentication is failed. SMTP error 535-5.7.8 Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at 535 5.7.8 https://support.google.com/mail/answer/14257 f129sm4870291ywd.10 - gsmtp

2 - SMTP: invalid from address. SMTP error 530-5.5.1 Authentication Required. Learn more at 530 5.5.1 https://support.google.com/mail/answer/14257 h68sm4854350ywd.42 - gsmtp

3 - SMTP: invalid from address. SMTP error 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. d125sm4915589ywf.21 - gsmtp

I have used examples of gmail settings from all over the internet. I have used all sorts of combinations with port 25, 465, and 587 in the mailer.ini file. I have tried different email accounts, different email servers. With and without SMTP authhentification. In stunnel, I have used the same settings as Win911 and others from various internet sources. All with the same results as listed above.

Win911 stunnel config:

client = yes
[POP3]
accept = 127.0.0.1:110
connect = pop.gmail.com:995
[SMTP]
accept = 127.0.0.1:25
connect = smtp.gmail.com:465

I CAN get my email settings to work without using stunnel but only at my office. I have customers all over the state that have different internet providers and what works for one may not work for the other. When that happens, the local IT guy for my customer and I stand in the same room pointing fingers at each other and that looks bad on both of us. I made the mistake of hitting the "Test my SMTP Settings" button in front of the customer and it says "Test succeeded: SMTP server is available without authentication." and then I tried a test alarm and it failed. Of course I got the "why did it succeed in the test and it still wont work" question. And I had no answer for him.

I need a method of making the mailer object work (with or without stunnel) using a common email server (gmail, yahoo, msn, etc.). Im using Lookout 6.7. Of course I can just use Win911, but then I have to sell a customer $2000 software when all they want is a simple email.

I know Im gonna get tons of questions so fire away. I need answers. 

bkinard@kinardcontrolsystems.com

Brian T. Kinard
President - SCADA and Security Division
2110 Nance Street
Newberry, SC 29108
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,863 Views)

Use the builtin windows email client (if Windows 7/8) or download Thunderbird.

Test the settings in the email client.  If they work, then there may be some error in NIs implementation.  If it does nto work, IT is likely the problem.

If the network requires authentication to access outside services (SonicWall, Zyxel, etc.) they may need to add a rule to allow the machine to bypass authentication.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Forshock - Consult.Develop.Solve.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(5,829 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author bkinard@kinardcontrolsyst

I actually ran across the solution to the problem. The confusing part was that the "Test my SMTP settings" button would work but sending an actual email would cause an error.

The stunnel settings must include "protocol = smtp". For gmail to work, use the following settings:

Stunnel config:

[SMTP Gmail ]
client = yes
protocol = smtp
accept = 127.0.0.1:25
connect = smtp.gmail.com:587

Mailer.ini file:

[all]

SMTPPort=25

In the mailer object:

From address = "youremail@gmail.com"

SMTP server = 127.0.0.1