Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

setting up serial server on lookout

running LookOut Version 6.5, I have a Moxa device that converts serial to ethernet but when entering the ip settings there is not a place to put the device ID for lookout to read from. How do I set up such a device so that i can communicate a serial device through a serial radio.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,777 Views)

What protocol and what Moxa device?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Forshock - Consult.Develop.Solve.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,758 Views)

its a Moxa nport 5150,  the drive uses modbus RTU but all i could find on lookout is modbus tcp

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,741 Views)

That device server is a legacy serial port emulator.  It does not do protocol conversion (Moxa and others call those IAP devices.)

In order to use Modbus TCP <> RTU you would need this type of device.  We have had excellent luck with this brand: http://gridconnect.com/industrial-protocols/modbus.html

Have also used Moxa DigiOne IAP with good luck.

You can still use the COM port emulator but Lookout can be very problematic with it.  If the device server is on a remote or wireless network (VPN, cellular, etc.) Lookout may hang attemtping to connect to the serial port.  It can make it almost useless and very erratic.  If the device server is connected to the same switch or direct to the PC it would work very well.

Moxa has the drivers and manuals on their website.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Forshock - Consult.Develop.Solve.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,721 Views)