Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lookout causing system file size growth in W2000

When running Lookout 4.5 my WINNT/system32/config/system file is growing. The file should be around 2 to 3 MB but has grown to over 6 MB in just 4 days. Previously when this file got to 20 mb the system fried and had I to redo the above mentioned system file to original and also reinstall Lookout 4.5. I am afraid I am headed back to the same place. What is the problem?

Thanks for your input.

Dave
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,946 Views)
Dave,

I do not know why should Lookout increase the system hive when Lookout is running regularly with a process application.
The only part Lookout is somehow related to the system hive is during installation. Lookout installer register its services (LKAds, LKCitadel, LKTime, and in Lookout 5 probably Lookout used as NT Service). This installation would increase the system hive a little bit. However, I've installed Lookout 5 and 4.5.1b18 and my system hive is as you said around 2-3 MB and I have not seen it growing when I was using Lookout.
If you could reproduce and see that this system file is growing it might be interessting to know if you do something special in your process application. (E.g. DDE Exchange, OPC Servers...).

Let me know if you attache an exampl
e that reproduces the system hive grow.

Regards
Roland

PS: More about this growing file: e.g.: http://scilnet.fortlewis.edu/tech/NT-Server/registry.htm#Hives
PPS: If you encounter this problem - for sure it would be good to know why - but maybe you could increase the registry max file setting thus the system would not freeze - or what do you mean by "fried", a crash (Would you have a stack dump?)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,946 Views)
I found the problem. I was using A Directlogic Plus driver for Automation Direct PLCs. This driver would cause the system hive to grow and grow and grow. Once this driver was updated to the latest version the problem was gone.

Dave.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,946 Views)
I have noticed the same thing happening as well. Except in my case the system will slow way down and finally stop functioning all together.

Once the system is re-booted, Windows will fail to start siting a missing System32/config/system or corrupted file. I checked with Microsoft on this one they told me it was part of the hive memory setting and advised me to increase the size of the Registry under the advanced tab in the System properties.

It did seem to help a little, but I have recieved the same problem several more times. It also occures on other W2k systems as well.

Lookout 5.0, W2K, sp2

JZ
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,946 Views)