From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Lookout

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does the remote position expression for this switch work in 3.8 but not 4.5.1?

I have a few switches with remote position sources and when I tried to create them in 4.5.1 build 18 I get an error saying

"invalid object pathname (multiple delimiters)".

An example of the expressions is

"OneShot (..\Tables\DPC3Tbl.MP_MANUAL_CAL, 00:05)".

Why would this work in 3.8 and not 4.5.1?

Thanks for any response.
Jason Phillips
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,010 Views)
Lookout 3.8 and 4.0 are fundamentally different when it comes to the remote position feature.

You will notice in 3.8 the field is yellow while in Lookout 4 it is green. The green field is what is know as a "URL (Universal Resource Locator) connection." If you do an index search in the Lookout 4.5 help file for "URL connections" you will get more information on this subject. I will quote from the help file: "A URL (Universal Resource Locator) connection is distinct from a connection made through an expression because it cannot contain any condition checking or mathematical operations." If you do an index search on just "URls" you will get even more:"Green fields are for Universal Resource Locators (URLs) which are a standard way to find a path to the data
member or object you need to access or connect to."

Its main purpose is to connect a client process to a server process.

In order to accomplish what you want, you must create a oneshot object and define the switch as the on/off input. Then connect the oneshot to the value datamember of the switch.

If you are migrating to Lookout 4.5 from 3.8, or you are experienced with 3.8 and not 4.5, it is in your best interest to thoroughly read all the associated .pdf manuals and the Lookout help file. It is time consuming but it will pay off for you later!

You may find a creative way around the "green field limitation" by looking into the Symbolic Link Connection- Dynamic selection.

Regards,
Tommy Scharmann
Message 2 of 3
(3,010 Views)
Thanks for the explanation - appreciate it!
Jason Phillips
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,010 Views)